Lunch

January 26, 2015

"Martin's Construction." I say kindly into the phone.

"I need to speak with Mr. Martin." The man says.

"I'm sorry sir but he's out on a job right now. Can I have a name and number?" I say.

"Joe Cantell." He says.

"Joey? This is Alice." I say with a small laugh. This is one of dads friends. I remember driving him home after everyone got drunk. I always had to do that though.

"Ali! Wow. You sound like you've grown up." He says.

"That's what happens. I'll tell dad to call you as soon as he gets in." I say sweetly.

"Thanks darling. It was good to talk to you. Bye." He says and we hang up.

I check the clock and smile. It's finally lunch time.

"Hey Kelly? Im taking my lunch. I'll be back in an hour." I say as I grab my purse.

"Okay girl. Be safe." She says with a kind smile. She's a sweet lady. I think she's been working here as long as I can remember.

I pull my keys out and settle in my car. I'm picking something up from a small, local restaurant. There's a 30 minute wait if you don't call up there. Thankful, I made the call.

I pick lunch up and drive to the construction site. I picked dad and Jared up something they eat. They work too hard and sometimes through lunch. Or I know Jared does. He eats almost all the food at dinner except mine of course.

I get out of the car and frown as I see everyone still working. I spot dad's truck and rummage through it for his megaphone. They can't just not eat. They could pass out or something. I finally find it and pull it up to my mouth.

"Lunch Time!" I say and everyone turns to me. "Get you asses to lunch." I say into it again.

Everyone stops what they're doing and looks over to where I suppose my dad is. He smiles kindly at me and then nods to the workers. I watch everyone start over and smile at me. I'm sure the poor things are thankful.

"You make a good boss." Dad says with a smile.

"Well I learned from the best." I say and sit the megaphone back in his truck.

"Good. You wanna go eat?" He asks.

"Actually, I brought you a sub from Gwen's." I say and start back to the car.

"That sounds great. No veggies right?"

"Yes dad." I say with a smile and open my door to grab the bag.

"Wait if you brought me lunch, then how's Jared suppose to buy you lunch?" Dad asks causing me to bump my head on the roof of the car.

"Jared bought me lunch?" I ask surprised.

"Yeah he left a few minutes before you got here." He says and looks slightly confused.

"I'm gonna call him real quick." I say with a smile and pull my phone out of my pocket. I click on his name and listen to the rings.

"Well if it isn't the missing lady." He answers.

"You bought me lunch?" I ask sweetly. I'm not angry by any means. I've just never had anyone buy me lunch to bring to work. That was something Leo never did for me. I'm sure it was out of his way.

"I sure did and I was gonna light a candle or something to make the break room more romantic." He says with a small chuckle.

"Well I can't believe I'm missing out. I'm actually over here at the site with a bag of food for all of us." I say as I picture us eating to go by the candlelight.