The Favor

Jason Martin's (Alice's dad) POV: January 16, 2015

"Finish the siding and we're done for the day." I tell the guys. It seems we have a knack for finishing houses pretty quick. I'm not complaining. I get to go home early.

I grab a bottle of water and drink it. It's still cold here but this job works up a sweat. Since I'm playing secretary and boss, I've been busy today.

"Hey Jason." Jared says as we walks to me.

"Hey Jared. What's up?" I ask.

"You know anybody that's got a house for rent? It ain't even got to be a house really, maybe a room." He asks as he wipes his face.

"What's wrong at Levi's?" I ask curious.

"Well you see the sound tolerance of his walls are not good. I hear things I don't wanna hear in other words." He says with a shake of his head.

Levi must be up to his old antics. I've known him my whole adult life. He's been a good friend and we've been through a lot.

"What are you looking for?" I ask.

"Something small and affordable. Maybe about the size of Alice's apartment." He says.

Alice. My daughter tries to do it alone. I've got to talk to her about being my secretary. At least then she'll have money for everything she needs to pay for. It's hard worrying about her because she doesn't let people worry.

"Well those apartments aren't so affordable anymore." I say.

"Alice told me its $300 a month. But she does have other bills too." He says confused.

"The guy raised her rent to $600. Did she not tell you?" That sounds like Alice.

"Woah. How's she getting by?" He asks. He's clearly worried. I swear those 2 have been fighting their feelings for longer than I can remember.

I remember when they were 7. Jared use to help Alice cook and clean. That's when I realized that being on drugs was harming my family. But maybe something good came out of it.

"She's been digging out of her money that she put up for her wedding. Good thing there isn't a wedding anymore." I say with a small laugh. I never liked Leo anyways.

"She hasn't really said anything about that. Honestly, I don't like the guy. I have to fight tearing him to shreds every time I see her." Jared says and runs his hand over his hair.

"Don't you mean every time you see him?" I ask confused.

"Did she not tell y'all?" He asks shocked.

"Tell us what?"

"Oh damn. She's gonna kick my ass. Leo was at her apartment the other day. He knocked Alice out and destroyed a lot of her stuff. I found her when I brought her some food." My hands clench tightly.

"I'm gonna go tear him a new one." I grit out.

"Jason, wait. You don't need to go back to jail. We're depending on you. Plus, I'm watching Alice as best as I can. It's hard when she knows and won't let you." He says as he grabs my arm.

What if I call it a favor? What if I can get Jared there with her? She would do it if I asked. He can watch her and Leo would leave her alone.

"Jared, just listen. I think I have somewhere that you can stay for a while." I tell him. I'm not any calmer. I still want to go rip apart that asshole.

"Yeah?" He asks with raised eyebrows.

"Alice owes me a favor. She has a room open at her apartment."