Memories and heartbreaks

That Night.

"Thank goodness, were done." I say as I flop on Jared's bed.

"I just made the bed." Jared complains as he lays beside me.

"We just put sheets on the bed Jare." I correct him with a laugh.

I slide my arms behind my head and my eyes slowly fall closed. We've been packing and unpacking all day. It's dark outside now and it's gotten quite cold.

"We still have to watch the news." Jared says and bumps me.

"I'm not really feeling it. I've had a good day without Leo and I'm not ready to change that. I have a feeling that I'll have hell to pay. Soon." I say seriously. I'm surprised Leo didn't turn my ass into grass earlier.

"He'll have to go through me. God I wanted to end him this morning. I was ready to kill him."

"I know. I have to fight my own battles though. Leo is tricky and sneaky and no doubt he's planning something that's gonna hurt me worse."

"And I'll be here to pick you up when you fall. I can't promise to always catch you but I'll always be there." Jared says sweetly and I turn my head to look at him.

He's looking at me and I can't help but smile. He's always been sweet. I wish things could've been different.

"That 7 year old boy who use to help me take care of my brothers and sister is still there. He grew up in age but he's still there. The boy who fought off the bullies and held my hand when I was scared. The boy who use to chase me on the playground. The one who took me to every school dance. The one who stole my first kiss and taught me to drive. He's still there Jare." I whisper as I roll on my side so I can look at him.

He's so handsome. I could never get tired of looking at him. His blue eyes look into your soul and drown you in their depth.

"I wish I could go back and change this. I wish when I looked at you I didn't see hurt. Alice, I don't know how to fix what that asshole did." Jared says and lays on his side.

"Jared, some things you can't fix. We can't go back and change anything. We can only move forward from here and hope that it doesn't keep bending." I whisper and move one of my arms so I can grab his hand.

"I have a feeling that Leo took more than your pride." Jared squeezes my hand tightly.

"It's complicated." I drop my eyes from his as they grow darker.

"I'll kill him Alice. It may be better to not tell me what he did but I need to know though. I need to know where to start fixing his mistakes."

I close my eyes and think back to Christmas. It seems so long ago but I know how short of a time it took for everything to go from bad to worse. My butt starts vibrating and I pull my phone out of my back pocket. I frown at my mom calling.

"Hey mom." I say as I look at Jared.

"So me and your father are watching the news and we see that there's a story about a guy who cheated on this woman. Imagine our reactions, or rather mine, when I see a poster of Leo." She says and seems mad. She did always believe Leo's cover.

"Mom just calm down." I say softly.

"How can I calm down? Leo would never cheat on you! I forbid you to end it with him. He's a fine young man Alice. He can take care of you. I also don't think that it's very wise to have another man living in your home." She scolds me. I roll my eyes.

"Mother can you stop defending him and trying to tell me what's wise. I'm 25 years old for Christ's sake."

"Fine. I think you're making a bad decision. Oh and Sharon wants you to watch the news. She called a while ago and said that she's been asked for an interview. I'm not sure what's going on with you girls. I'm glad your not in my house anymore. I love you Alice." She says and ends the phone call. I pull myself up and run my face.

"Let's go watch the news. Sharon is doing an interview. It's probably about her clothing line she's developing." I say and walk to the living room to turn on the local news.

"And now we'll go to Paige Hardwick who is over at the oyster bar with an interesting story." The announcer says. The screens flips to paige whose standing outside the bar I put posters up at. Jared sits beside me and wraps an arm around me.

"Thank you Dave. I'm here at the oyster bar where, as you can see, there are posters of a man with various words written on them. I was contacted by a young lady who found out that her fiancé was cheating on her. His name is Leo Smith. They dated for 5 years and were scheduled to be married in October. We do have a surprise though. I was contacted by a lady who said that she was with Leo. She's willing to do an interview with me." Paige pauses and the screen goes back to the original announcers.

"Okay everyone. We will have more on that story after we get the news report for this week." The man says.

"We don't have to watch it." Jared says from beside me.

"I told you he was planning something evil. I have to watch it Jared." I say and move closer to him.

We watch the news report in silence. It's gonna be cloudy and rainy for a couple of days. Temperatures are suppose to drop and that means freezing rain. Maybe even snow.

"Now we'll go to Paige who has the remains of this story ready to tie up with an interview. Paige." The man says and the screen flashes to Paige siting at a booth with a familiar blonde. I bit my lip hard and try to hold back my tears.

"I'm here with Sharon Martin. How are you today?" Paige asks my sister.

"I'm good Paige. How are you?" Sharon says with a smile.

"Good. So aren't you Leo Smith's fiancé's sister?" Paige asks.

"Yes. Leo's fiancé, Alice, is my older sister." Sharon answers and Jared pulls me in his lap. I wrap my arms around him tight.

"May I ask why you decided to sleep with your sisters fiancé?" Paige asks.

"Well, Paige, my sister didn't deserve him. Leo was too good for her. We also have a strong connection to one another." Sharon answers.

Tears leave my eyes and I hold onto Jared as tight as I can. This can't be happening to me. My sister and the guy I've been with for 5 years have not done this.

"How long has all this been going on behind your sisters back?" Paige asks.

"Well about 4 years now off and on." Sharon answers.

"Turn it off." I whisper to Jared through my tears.

"To my sister whose watching this, Id like to tell you that you got what you deserved. All those years that dad and mom treated you like the perfect daughter you never were, I was left to wonder what about me? Paybacks a bitch big sis. This is just the beginning too." I hear her say before Jared turns the TV off.