Villians and Heroes

January 10, 2015 5:30PM

"Mrs. Terri, is there anyway I could get a raise or anything?" I ask my boss desperately.

"I don't know. I can try to throw you a little extra. What's wrong?" She asks.

"Well my landlord told me he's moving my rent up by $300. I have no clue why though." I tell her.

"Oh dear. You'd have to work everyday, every hour were open." She says shocked.

"I know and I don't think I can since you have other workers." I say sadly.

"Well it would be too much on you regardless. I couldn't ask that." She says.

"I know. Do you know anywhere that's hiring?" I ask hopeful.

"I can ask around for you. Alice, I can give you some money if you don't have money for rent." She says.

"Oh, no. I can't ask that."

"You're not asking me. I'm offering Alice. You're our hardest worker and it's obvious that you're one of the main reasons we have return customers."

"Mrs. Terri, thank you. That means a lot to me really. I'm sure I have enough saved up to cover this months rent. I may be eating at my family's house and walking everywhere." I say with a small laugh.

"Alice Martin! Does that fiance not help you at all?" She asks shocked.

"It's complicated." I tell her. Honestly, I haven't even asked him. I don't even know where we stand.

"Well maybe you could just stay with him for a bit? Just until you get your head over water." She suggests.

"I don't know. I may just look around for a new apartment." I confess. I've thought about it but I don't wanna have to box my whole life up and move again. It was hard enough when I was 18.

Unlike my siblings, I moved out the day I turned 18. It was hard but I couldn't put up with everything anymore at the time. There was too much drama surrounding me and I needed to get away.

"I'd love to go looking with you. We can go whenever." Terri says sweetly.

"Thank you. But I suppose I better get home. I've got to go job hunting tomorrow." I say with a faint smile.

"Okay. Be safe. I'll see you soon." She says and hugs me.

I walk out and to my car. It didn't take too long to get my car back, thank goodness. It drives a lot better so whoever cut my tires did me a favor. Not really but I'm trying to be positive.

The drive home isn't too long but the radio seems to play every song that reminds me of Leo. I miss him so much. I don't know what to do sometimes. It's strange being like this. Somewhat single I guess.

I wish we could go back to the old days. Back when I made him happy. Back before he wanted sex from me. I don't make him happy anymore and I don't give him sex.

When I pull in and park, I turn the car off and sit there. I feel the urge to drink, to yell, to hit something, or to just cry. It wasn't right that I had to take the painful side of the heartbreak when I'm the one who gave it my all.

I grab my purse and hurry to my apartment so I can be alone. I just wanna cry and wallow in my own self pity. I unlock the door and walk in. I don't remember leaving the light on?

"Hey babe." Leo says casually.

"Hi." I whisper and hang my purse up.

"I've missed you." He mutters.