I don't know what to do.

December 31,2014 6PM

I've busied myself with work so much that I haven't had time to even think about everything that's happened. I haven't talked to Leo since Christmas and I think it's been a good thing. I haven't worried about making him mad or anything.

"Hey momma." I say as I answer my phone. It's been a week since I've heard from them.

"We just got home sweetie. Why don't you pack a bag and come stay the night with us? We have the barbecue tomorrow and you know I always need help." She says.

"Okay mom. Let me get some stuff together. I'll see you shortly." I say and hang up.

I grab a bag and throw some nice jeans and shirts in even a dress. I pack pajamas next. Then a toothbrush, my makeup, and hair stuff. I pick a pair of flats that match the dress. I grab my charger and shove it in before zipping the bag.

Maybe I should tell Leo where I'm going. But what if he shows up and makes a scene? Well, he knows we're having a barbecue tomorrow anyways. It's a tradition. I shouldn't have to remind him of something he goes too every year.

I finally decide against Calling him. It's not worth the trouble. I grab all my stuff and lock the door before walking down the stairs to my car.

The stuff drops from my hands and I immediately want to cry. Someone has slashed all 4 of my tires. This will take me forever to get taken care of.

I bend down and grab my phone to call mom. She doesn't answer and I want to hit my head against something. I call dad.

"Hey sweetheart." He answers finally.

"Dad I need a ride." I say quickly.

"Why? What's wrong?" He asks confused.

"Someone slashed my tires." I sigh.

"Go back inside your apartment. I'm gonna send Jared over since he lives right down the road from you." He says and hangs up.

I grab all my stuff and trudge back up the stairs. I unlock the door and go in. Then I shut and lock the door.

I wonder who could've done this. I mean other than Leo of course. I'm not naive enough to not consider him. I did punch the guy in the face and get him in trouble with him parents.

I guess it's a good thing I didn't leave. I forgot to turn the coffee maker off. I know it turns off by itself but I don't trust it. It'd be my luck it'd burn the apartment down. I'd never be able to pay that off.

I fix me a cup of coffee and sit down at the small table. My phone starts ringing and I pull it out of my pocket and frown at the unknown number.

"Hello?" I answer.

"Hey Alice. It's Jared. Your dad called me to come get you." He explains.

"Oh hey Jared. Yeah someone slashed my tires." I say with a faint laugh.

"God. Well I'm at the apartments. Which one is yours and I'll come up and get your stuff for you." He says.

"It's 19B. Second floor." I tell him.

"Okay I'll see you in a second." He says and hangs up.

I put the phone on the table and stand up. At least I cleaned the house. I sip my coffee before I hear a knock. I set it down and open the door to see Jared.

"Hey there." I say with a small smile.

"Hi stranger." He says with a wink.

"Come in. I'm just drinking some coffee." I say as I step to the side for him to come in.

"Got some more?" He asks as he steps in.

"Whole pot actually."

He comes in and I shut the door behind him.

"You can sit at the table and I'll make it for you." I tell him as I lead him to the kitchen. He sits down.

"This is a nice apartment you've got here." He says.

"Well thank you. I pay $300 a month." I tell him.

"That's not too bad. Why don't you live with lover boy?" He asks as I set the coffee in front of him. I rub my ring finger where there's no ring anymore.

"It's complicated." I say with a small smile.

"Uncomplicate it then." He tells me.

"I don't even know what to do much less explain it to someone." I say softly.

"Fair enough I suppose." He says and drops the subject. "If you need anyone to talk to, I'll listen, you know?"

"I know Jared. But really I can't burden you. It's nothing." I sigh heavily.

"Obviously it isn't nothing. I've grown up with you Alice." He reminds me.

I look him over. Why didn't we ever work out? We have a past and he was always a great person to me. He was always sweet and caring. He never let anyone hurt me. I've always had a little crush on him. He probably didn't like me anyways.

I blink rapidly and look to see Jared watching me. I set my coffee down and my hands cup my face. I rest my elbows on my knees. Why me? What have I done that's so bad to deserve this?

Jared pulls me up and into a tight hug. I cling to his shirt for my life and he rubs my hair gently.

"I'm sorry Jare." I say softly and pull away from him after a long while.

"You're fine." He says with a sad smile.

I grab our coffee cups and set them in the sink. Jared carries my stuff out to the car and even opens the door for me. I can't help but think 'that's how you treat a lady.'