Gage's Birthday

December 16, 2014 around 8PM

"I'm sorry I'm late momma." I say as I drive to the grocery store. I had to call mom so I wouldn't cry.

"What's wrong sweetheart?" She asks worried.

"Le- I mean someone bumped into me and I dropped the cupcakes. I'm headed to the store to buy him some." I tell her. I don't want to make this day about me instead of Gage.

"Well Leo is here and we're waiting on you. Don't rush and get in a wreck." She says sweetly.

"Wait Leo's there?" I ask confused.

"Yeah he just pulled in. He looks kinda angry." She tells me.

"Make him go home momma." I say as I pull in the store and run in.

"Alice! What's wrong with you?" She asks me.

"We're just arguing right now." I say as I grab a package of 25 cupcakes.

"Couples argue all the time sweetheart. You'll be okay." Mom says as I run to the register to pay.

"Mom I gave him back the ring." I say finally realizing that I had called off my wedding.

"Alice! Why?" She asks.

"He was being mean and rude and calling our family traditions stupid." I say as I run out with the cupcakes without getting my change or receipt.

"They are a bit strange and silly honey." She says with a laugh.

"You don't understand mom." I say and hang up as I take the backroads to my parents house.

When I pull in, Leo is still there. He's talking to my mom on the porch. I park the car and turn it off before getting out an purposefully leaving the cupcakes in the car.

"Leonard Smith." I say as I get on the porch.

"Sweetheart where's the cupcakes?" Mom asks me as I continue to stare at Leo.

"In the car." I say vaguely.

"I'll grab them Mrs. Martin." Leo says kindly as he stands up.

"No. You're gonna talk to me. Mom will you go get the cupcakes?" I ask her.

"It's not an issue really. I'll talk to my fiancé and then go get them." Leo says throwing on the charm.

"No mom. Leo why don't you tell my mom what happened with my cupcakes I made?" I ask him innocently.

"I accidentally bumped into her. She told me to leave and I forgot my jacket so I was coming back to get it and I ran into her." He explains like he's rehearsed it.

"Oh sweetie. I'm sure Alice is just having a bad day. I'll get the cupcakes and you love birds can talk." Mom says before rubbing my back and walking off the porch.

I pull him around to the side, away from where mom can hear us.

"You need to leave." I say to him sharply.

"No. You don't get to end this relationship because I was being an ass. I'm always an asshole and you know that." He says.

"Please Leo. It's my brothers birthday and it's his day." I beg.

"I'll leave. I'm gonna go out of town for a while but I'll be back soon. I love you." He says before kissing my head and pulling me into a hug.

"Thank you. I love you too." I say as I wrap my arms around him limply.

"Please wear the ring until we get this settled. I wanna marry you Alice." He says softly.

"Fine." I say as he lets me go to reach in his pocket. He hands me the ring and I slide it on.

"I'll see you soon babe." He says before pecking my lips and walking away. I watch him drive away before walking in the house and joining my family for the party.