7 - Cake

6th August 2017

Clem's been acting strange the past few days. She keeps taking these 'walks'. When she says that it worries me, last time that happened was after I drunk then she found that fucking herd. I didn't want her going out alone, it worried me.

But something was obviously on her mind. I hope I didn't do something stupid. But knowing me I probably have. I'll just let her figure this once out on her own.

I would complain about the amount of babysitting duty I've been doing lately but I don't really mind spending time with Lee and occasionally Nick. I just laugh at the funny words spilling out of Lee's mouth. Clem was not happy when one of his first words just happened to be 'Shit'. Perhaps it was his parents using the word too much? Who knows?

It had been a week or so since dads funeral and mom was still in a state I couldn't control.

"At least your dad no longer leaves his disgusting pairs of underwear on the floor anymore." My mother morbidly chuckles as she folds her clothes. I was sat at the dining table sipping on a coffee. I was just about to go and visit Kelly. I missed being with her.

"You know even beyond the grave he'll try and find a way to put his dirty underwear on the floor." I follow her laughter awkwardly.

"Trust your father" she sighs with a small smile over the fact that even in a ghostly form he could haunt us all with his underwear.

I gradually find myself outside Kelly's house. It should be 'ours' but I just stayed there when I wanted which was the majority of the time. But lately I had been bunking on my moms couch. I don't think she minded, I think she liked the idea that I was close to her. That way she didn't feel so alone. I knew she gradually missed dad even more everyday.

I missed my fiancé. I had proposed to her a short time before dads passing. I don't see why I didn't do it sooner. I had loved this girl for longer than two years. Perhaps the only girl I've ever loved. My birthday was in a week or so, I didn't really pay attention to that though.

22 wasn't really...special. It was just a number, I've never liked birthdays. Although mom would always try her hardest to make them fun and happy for us all. I think she enjoyed the celebrations more than anyone. Dad said she never used to like birthdays, until her kids came along I guess.

"I missed you" I whisper to Kelly as I embrace her tightly. She hugs me back.

"I missed you too Lew." She innocently rubs my back and pulls my hand over to her dining table.

"What did you do?" I ask as she leads me. She turns around and gives me a look.

"What do you mean by that Mr.Turner?" She taps her foot with a little smirk.

"I'm just asking." I shrug. Looking around the room to find out what the hell she had changed. Perhaps the wallpaper? No...

She walks into the kitchen and comes back with a plate.

"I made a bit of cake" she smiles.

"Cake? As in...real cake?" I question looking at the squidgy 'cake' triangle on the plate. I'd never eaten cake before, apart from when mom had made it. Perhaps only three or four times, all I knew was it was good.

"Try it." She urges pushing the plate towards me. I pick it up and bite into the sponge. Instantly I'm full of the beautiful artwork. The artwork in this case being a piece of cake.

"This is really good." I mumble. My mouth full of crumbling cake. She laughs as crumbs fall out of my mouth like a messy baby eating solids for the first time.

Kelly's cake and smile lighten the mood of the room. It lightens my mood altogether. I regret not being with her for the last couple of days or so. Even before dad's passing I was barely around.

"It's beautiful" I smile at her before placing the plate on the table beside me.

"Really?" She gets excited over my compliment.

"You're beautiful" I grin at her. Kelly's hair dropped just below her shoulders but it suited her, however it was usually in a messy bun. Her light blue T-shirt showed off her plump chest perfectly shaping her curvy body.

"Don't be silly." Kelly giggles slightly. I take a step forward.

"And why would that be such a silly statement?" I peer into her eyes. A beautiful green colour. I missed them dearly.

Instead of replying she pulls me forwards and our lips connect. It had been a long time since anything like this could happen between us with everything that had been going on. But I needed this.

We stand in the living room for a few minutes into my lips guide her up the stairs before pushing her over on her creaky bed. As soon as it made a terribly loud noise we both laughed. I wish she'd change this bed. It made too much noise.

"I'm sorry I haven't been around." I breathe on to her lips.

"I understand. I know it's not your fault." She pulls me in closer before tugging on my stubborn zipper.

Whatever happened tonight my dads words would always repeat in my head. Every conversation I had about Kelly with him usually ended up in him telling me I couldn't be a father until I was much older.

I couldn't say I wanted kids. But I wouldn't mind. Although I knew that near enough every girl uses the contraceptive pill if they want to have unprotected sex. Considering the condoms ran out of date a long time ago, this was the only other safe alternative.

Something about dad not wanting to be a grandfather yet constantly goes through my head during my 'session'. I don't even see why I was worrying about this stuff, she knows I didn't want kids yet. She wouldn't compromise that.

"You have to stop doing this. It's killing me." I chuckle out of breath laying on my back on the bed made by Satan himself.

"That's the problem. You don't ever want me to stop." Now I could understand why Lee got around with women. If this was what he got nearly every night. I'm impressed.

Except he never got Kelly.

She was mine and only mine.