26 - Birthday

"Happy birthday to you!" Mom shouts as she gallops into my room.

"Mom! I was sleeping!" I groan as I throw a pillow over my head so I can ignore her obnoxious singing.

"Happy birthday to you!"

"Mom! Stop!" I grumble trying to press the pillow against my head more to stop the wretched noise.

"Oh alright, you spoil all the fun" she says as she sits beside me on the edge of the bed.

I sit up and rub my eyes. If she wanted to give me a birthday present she could have let me sleep. Or got me a stripper or something. Whatever floated my boat at the time.

"Sorry, I'm just so...ergh" I didn't know how else to describe my mood. I didn't want to tell Mom about Kelly and the unknown baby because I didn't want to put any weight on her shoulders. She's had enough.

"Lee told me about Kelly" she mumbles under her breath.

"What the fuck?" I sigh. Why would he do that? Mother fucker.

"I'm not upset, this is just something you and your brother have to sort out between you." She holds onto one of my hands and smiles lightly.

"I don't feel 27" I brush back my hair and smile to the best of my ability.

"Yeah? So how old do you feel?" She questions.

"47"

"Oh trust me, you'll know when you reach 47" she begins to laugh. I'm glad she's in a good mood.

She makes me breakfast like usual. Eggs. We had so many chickens, I was glad that I didn't have to deal with that. I didn't like chickens.

"I didn't know what to get you, but it's around the back." She tells me after we finished up with breakfast.

Mom ultimately drags me out of the back door and presents me with a blue moutain bike.

"Okay, I'll admit. This is pretty cool, thanks mom" I smile as I walk over to the bike.

A bike would be good for me, I would easily be able to bike back and forth to the industrial side of Wellington. Especially with all this shit going on, it's a good investment.

"Glad you like it, I hope you know how to ride it" Mom giggles. I hear another figure approach us as I stand gaping at the bike.

"Happy birthday Lewis" April says as she walks over. It actually made me smile that perhaps maybe she did care about me, even just a little.

"Thanks" I reply as I hold onto the bike handles. Truth be told, I probably couldn't ride it. But I'd learn, it can't be too hard.

Today I wanted to make sure that Nick was able to come out of his cell and get settled back into Lukes. I needed him for the fight, every little helps.

I tried out my new bike so I could make my way to reception. I stumbled a few times and I think some kids laughed at me but other than that I think I got the hang of it.

When I get to reception Hendrix was nowhere to be seen. Good thing really because if I could see him I'd certainly be speaking to him about Kelly's affair. He was the one who let her down here, that means he's a part of it.

I find the keys to the basement and make my way down. It had been a few weeks since I last saw my cousin. I went hunting with him once, with dad.

It was an all boys trip. Me, Lee, Nick and dad. I don't even know how he managed to keep us all contained. It just happened.

Nick was by far the best shot we had. I ended up killing a rabbit which I was quite proud of. Lee did nothing and well Nick shot down a deer much to everyone's surprise.