13 - Toast

"You know I think it's wrong she doesn't treat you right. I mean Jesus Christ you're her mom" I begin to complain about my ungrateful sister. April had always had everything given to her.

"Lewis, it's just one of those things that's out of my control" she sighs. I knew that she wanted a better relationship with April. The only kid she had a proper relationship with was me and that wasn't exactly exciting at all.

"Maybe we should have a family meal or something?" I suggest as we reach the door of my mothers house.

"You know how that turned out last time." She walks straight past me and goes into her house. I follow her inside. I remembered the last time we had a family meal, all them years ago.

"I know, I know but this time it would be different." I tell her, trying to grab her attention by walking in front of her.

"How so?"

"Well, I can cook it" I announce whilst pointing at my chest.

"You're kidding right?" She begins to laugh slightly.

My cooking couldn't be that bad? Surely.

"What?" I question with a smile. I had actually made her laugh, I guess you would call this bonding.

"Well, last time you cooked something it was most likely that burnt piece of toast on your 14th birthday." She reminds me before walking into the kitchen. I follow her and lean on the doorway.

"You remember that?" I laugh at the thought.

14 year old me decided to use the toaster for the first time. Let's just say I was excited to get out of the house so I began to make breakfast whilst everyone was still asleep. When I got distracted by the television things got a little heated...literally.

It was at that point my dad came out of his room, in his boxers may I add and took care of the toast. He then did the most stupidest thing, he touched the damn burnt bread. Resulting in burning his hand.

"Holy shit!" He screamed as he burnt himself. I was already laughing too much to care.

Back in real time I watch my mom take some water out of the fridge and pour it into a glass. She gets another glass out as well.

"Of course I remember that, your dad was complaining for weeks about that damn burn." She shakes her head and laughs, I just had to join her on that.

"I told Lee" I finally announce as she passed me one of the glasses of water.

"His reply?" My mom places her glass on the side and looks directly at me. I hated it when she was so serious, so direct.

"Rude words" I say with a little chuckle. She just smiles and turns away.

"I never understood him you know. He was always so...distant." My mom props herself up on the counter. I continue to look at her through the doorframe.

"He's like that with everyone. Lee's just...Lee." I sigh as I sip on the cold water in my glass.

I wish my brother wasn't the way he was but that was just the way things eventually worked out. Suddenly I jumped as the door behind me cracked open. The front door.

A long brown haired girl walks in, a small bag hanging over her shoulder. She was pretty, she looked too much like mom sometimes it scared me.

My mom walks over to the doorway and stands beside me watching the intruder. Even though she still lived here with mom.

"Speak of the second devil." My mom chuffs as April shuts the front door behind her.

"Was the first devil me or Lee?" I turn around as she walks back into the kitchen.