30 - Chaos

LEWIS POV

"They're moving forward! We can't let them take the wall!" I say well into the day. The sun began to set, giving a dusty hase over the land of Ohio.

I was exhausted. Constant repetitive actions all day. Reload and shoot. My arms were numb from the rapid vibrations and I was hungry.

We had lost quite a few men. A few I barely knew, but it was still upsetting. They were my people. The people of Wellington.

"They have trucks, we haven't nothing apart from the wall." Nick panics as he sits beside me and Lee. We were all panting, all sweating, all tired and wanting to go to bed.

"Do you really think they'd knock the wall? I mean, it's a defence. They want this place, they shouldn't destroy it." I try to convince the only friends I had with me. Although, I wouldn't count Lee as a form of friend.

"You ass, of course they'll knock this shit down. There is no threat. They are the threat." Lee shouts into my ear making me shudder.

"What happened to you being nice you asshole?" I scowl back at him as I hear Redwood's trucks begin to roar. Lee just lowered his eyebrows

"Guys, shut the fuck up. We have more things to worry about." Nick says as he gestures for us to look over the barrier of the container.

Redwood and his men were advancing towards the wall. Towards Wellington. Even closer than they were before.

"Oh shit." I mumble as I watch one of the men pull the pin from a grenade and throw it over the wall. The walls of Wellington.

Me and the two men standing by me instantly stand up and sprint towards what seemed to be the new found bombsight by the gates.

"GET DOWN!" I heard Lee bellow at the top of his lungs. But his words were too late.

We all tried to make our way as quickly as possible down to the floor. I skipped the ladder and leaped down. Whilst doing so the explosion made my ears ring.

Then another explosion. Then another. I look up from the ground when I land on both of my feet to examine the sheer horror. The first thing I saw was some bodies leg, torn apart from their body on the floor.

Nick and Lee stood beside me and saw the same madness. I ran towards the scene.

"KEEP FUCKING FIRING. WE NEED MEDICS HERE NOW!" I shout whilst running over to allow myself to stand in the middle of the horrifying events. If some sort of posttraumatic stress disorder didn't come from this I didn't know what would. Other than near certain death.

"Lewis." A voice whispers.

That's when I look downwards and see a hand claw my jeans. I look over the exhausted human. The bottom half of his body blown off. Blood seeping everywhere. I gag at the sight and smell of burning bodies.

"Danny?" My eyes widen at the sight of my uncle. He must have been in so much pain. I couldn't even think about it. The image would haunt me forever.

Redwood nearly promised he would kill everyone I loved and cared about. He had killed my uncle Danny though an explosion. There was no way anyone could recover from that. Even so, only Brittany would ever be funny qualified to do something that outstanding and even now she was...gone.

That's one out of seven. If you counted Lee as somebody I cared dearly for.

"Do good for the...Turner name" He says in a raspy voice before headbutting the floor.

My uncle. My fucking uncle. The only last connection I had to learn more about my father when he was younger. I feel the ground rumble.

Lee walks beside me and places his hand on my shoulder.

"We'll sort this out later. I promise." He tells me. I being to sob at the sight of Danny. Explosions. Fucking explosions.

I do the one thing I've never had to do before. I placed the end of my rifle to his head. But before I could shoot Lee raised his pistol and did it for me. Our humane way of dealing with the dead.

"You shouldn't have to do that. You've had enough" Lee admits before yanking me by the arm and pulling me more into the south side of Wellington.

We stop, turn around and check the gate. The grenades had stopped. But my men began to jump from the containers. Running towards us, turning and aiming at the gates.

"What's happening?" I ask nobody in particular.

"I think...they're on their way." Nick aims his gun towards the gate. He was correct.

A heavy duty truck crashes through. The sound of metal on metal was enough to burst my eardrums. That was when my people without organisation begin to shoot and form some sort of order, as if it was natural.

Redwoods people were in the wall now. There was no stopping them. They overpowered us.

I turned around and in the distance I saw woman and some children running around in terror. No formation, like headless chickens.

If we could stop anything we could try and stop them from entering the south side. They couldn't get to the peaceful side. The industrial side, according to my dad and other sources was a harsh but powerful part of Wellington history.

"We need to fallback even more. Give some firing space." I shout over all of the loud noises. That's all I had been doing today, shouting.

"If we fall back anymore we'll be going into south side. Do you want more people to die?" Nick asks harshly before leaning over an old car we were hiding behind and shooting one of his men dead.

"We have to hold our position, else they'll push forward." My older brother tries to explain.

"Alright, alright. My plan was shit. No need to fucking bomb me." I growl. I take my rifle as blindfire over the car. Hopefully I hit somebody.

"We're not trying to bomb you. We're trying to prevent the deaths of a shit tonne of people!" Lee says before wiping his sweating brow with the back of his dirty hand.

As my blood relations shot bullets into the opposing side I sat with my back against the car, watching people run. It was only when I saw a woman fall over when running across the street I knew that not only were they killing my soldiers.

They had just started to kill the innocent civilians.

******

FYI - Shits bout to go down y'all.

I'm never speaking like that again. English my children. English.