16 - Bench

Here's an extra chapter cause I'm bored and I've been writing too much. xD

Clem's POV

*A week or so later*

I walk down the sidewalk with a person I could call my friend. Luke.

I encouraged him to come for a walk, considering his situation he couldn't really go that far but the prosthetic leg was working for him. If he got fed up that would simply just be him being lazy.

We take a walk over by the pond that we had in the village. I guess I wanted to just...talk. For us to bond as we used to. Luke was in his 60's now, however he still looked healthy. I even got him to shave a bit of that damned grey beard off.

I knew he would be alright. This is Luke we're talking about. Luke is always strong. I wouldn't be surprised if he outlived me.

I sit down on a park bench and Luke follows my lead.

"It's actually sort of a nice day." I admit as I look across the pond. A few children were playing soccer on the other side.

The sun was shining and there was actually birds in the trees that weren't shot down for a nice meal just yet.

"You're right. It is a nice day." Luke looks at me and smiles. He didn't smile very often but when he did it was very bright and contagious.

I continued to take in the fresh air. Take in the beautiful scenery. Most of all just appreciate the moment at hand.

"Anything planned for Lewis's birthday?" Luke asks me as he continued to stare out at the children playing the sports. They were all so happy.

They never had to nor will they ever have to endure the type of childhood I had. The world I grew up in.

"He's going to be 27, I don't think he really wants a birthday party." I begin to chuckle. I couldn't believe my second born son would be 27, that makes me feel old.

"That's not what I meant...are you going to get him something?" Luke crosses over his arms.

"Of course I'm going to get him something. I'll have to go to the storage and find something." I sigh. It was always a pain looking for birthday presents. Especially in the storage, it was so fucking massive.

"Get him something random, something useful." Luke suggests.

"How about a bike? I mean, it's practical. But random." I wiggle my finger at the idea.

"See, that's a good idea. But does he know how to ride a bike? Don't want to embarrass the poor boy." He chuckles. I remember when Josh tried to ride a bike with me once. Now that...was funny.

"Josh taught him, I think." I scratch my head. I couldn't remember that far back. I knew he taught Lee, I remember watching.

"What? 20 years ago?" Luke laughs some more. It was true.

"Most likely" I laugh along with him and watch the ripples in the pond.

We sit for a lot longer than anticipated. Then suddenly something catches the eyes of Luke.

"Is that..." I see him squinting to a figure across the pond.

A little boy, around 7 years old picking up the ball by the side of the pond.

"I think it is..."

"You know...he actually looks like him, a lot." Luke bites down on his bottom lip. I hold onto his shoulder. I knew he wanted to cry.

"He's a smart little boy though. I mean look at him, he's happy." I point out the little kid who kicks the ball in front of him. I could hear his giggles even from across the pond.

"I just wish Nick could be part of his life. But you know the circumstances. That's never going to happen." Luke sighs and slumps back in the bench.

"How about when they're older?" I question. Luke just looks at me and laughs.

"What's he supposed to say? 'Hey Alfie, I'm your dad. That same dad who hasn't been around for 10 years of your life because I raped your mother.'" He mocks harshly. But the problem is that's exactly what would happen.

"I don't think it would go exactly like that." I lie as I rub his shoulder once more to comfort him, I wasn't sure if it was working or not. Probably not.

"I wish, he was just...happy. I see him in that cell and all I see is sadness, regret. I know he hates what he did and I know it runs through his mind everyday. Why Melissa didn't speak up about the incident before still confuses me but at least I got a few months with him before he did go to the cell." Luke sighs once again and rubs his forehead.

"He'll be out before you know it." It was another 8 year wait. But at least that was something.

"I'm just afraid that by the time he comes out I'm going to be dead and gone." Luke looks down by his hands as he twiddles his thumbs.

"Don't say things like that. You'll still be here long after he gets out." I tell him proudly. I knew he would be, I had faith.

"Me and Anna used to talk about what sort of a person our kid would be. Anna said an artist, since we both liked the arts. She said that maybe if he was an artist there would finally be a light over Wellington because she knew that art can communicate happiness. She believed in that. Neither of us said he would be a criminal. It wasn't something that popped into our minds at the time." He admits. This was the first time he had openly spoken about Anna in...forever.

I stay quiet and allow him to finish saying whatever he needed to get out of his system.

"Alfie, is going to grow up not knowing who his real dad is. I know Melissa has Chris now, but it's not the point. Even if Chris does raise him, it's still not his real father. He'll be living a lie. He'll never know he was related to the Turner's and trust me...that could be a good thing. I'll never be able to bond with my own grandson just as I couldn't bond with my own kid. Even when the walkers were about and food was a struggle, it was still easier than whatever the hell all of this shit is." Luke spills his thoughts and I attempt to process every word.

"We've got it easier now. I'd prefer a few predicaments than watch everyone I love be ripped apart by flesh eating monsters." I instantly reply. He needed to be grateful of what we had now.

We sit in silence for a little while.

Then a girl and a boy jog past the lake. I recognised them, so did Luke.

"Is that Lewis?" Luke questions with a smile. I couldn't help but laugh as well, Lewis running?

"I think so, I can't tell in them shorts" I begin to laugh at my son. What a terrible mother I was.

"Who's the girl?"

"I think that's his friend Ali" I tell Luke. I had seen the girl running around before. She was very pretty and extremely fit in terms of exercise. I was jealous of her energy.

She had been Lewis's friend for a few years now. Someone for him to talk to, just like I had Craig and Luke. Someone who would just listen.

"Is Kelly being replaced?" Luke questions whilst turning his head towards me.

"You know he would never do that. He too much of a kind soul. He wouldn't even kill insects when he was younger. He's all bark with no bite." I chuckle.

I watch the two people run out of my vision.

"So what's he doing running then?" Luke asks.

"Probably pissed off with Lee being in his house. It's been a week and he's still not gone." I sigh. Lee was meant to leave in a few days. I had discussed it with Danny and he just said he'll have to wait.

I felt sorry for Lewis.

But Lee certainly wasn't coming inside my house.