49 - Cloud Nine

Walking out of the Wellington gates made my stomach turn. But I saw the ceremony all set up and it looked amazing. It was time to stand by the front until my bride to be arrived.

When I got to the front I turned to my right and saw Lee holding a guitar. The guitar looked new. A dark brown colour.

"What are you doing?" I sigh, I didn't think he would but I didn't want Lee to fuck up my wedding day. He probably had the guitar to smash over my head afterwards. We did have a bachelor party so it should be okay.

I mean the party wasn't the that great. It just involved a few friends and and a few drinks.

"You'll see." Lee winks. This was not a good sign.

"Just don't pull any shit. Please, I'm begging you." Without noticing I had clamped my hand together and started to shake them. I may as well have bowed down to him.

"You and Ali are honestly going to love it." He gives me an innocent smile and sits down on a stool a couple of metres from me. He held the guitar as if he was about to play it, there was no fucking way.

"You're going to play?" I turn once more as everyone begins to fill the rows of chairs in front of me.

"Look, I'm not very good at best man speeches. As told by the mass amount of paper in my trash at the moment. But you'll see what I'm good at." Lee smirks. I guess I wasn't getting a best man's speech then. I knew he wouldn't.

I sighs and adjust my tie some more as I stand lonely at the end of the red carpet rolled down the aisle. The priest stood beside me and one last person ran in and took a seat at the back. I didn't quite see who it was.

Suddenly everyone goes silent. It was as if this was time. Time to get married.

I watch the gate of the wall of Wellington click. This was it.

The music begins to play. It was very natural if it came from a CD, we must have gotten an improved sound system. I let Ali choose the music. The voice was so close and the strumming of the guitar was so on time and perfect.

It was only when I turned my head I saw Lee on the stool a few metres away breathing into a mic and strumming a guitar. Lee was playing a fucking guitar. He was also singing? Singing? Lee, singing?

I smile at him as he nods back, continuing to spill out these beautiful lyrics that now meant the world to me. He was good at singing, amazing in fact. I wish I had a talent like that and I wish Lee hadn't of kept his talent a secret. He was really good. Beyond good.

The gate to Wellington slowly cranked open. A beautiful girl had arrived.

My wife to be. The wedding dress was long and yet very slim to tightly fit around her body. The netting parts flowed onto the floor and dragged behind her, I didn't know what they were called. But I liked it, in fact I loved it.

I watch her smiling, even a single tear ran down her face. Perhaps she was happy? I hoped she was happy, if she wasn't we could always pull out.

I didn't want to do anything that might make her upset.

She walks like a model before finally finding her place in front of me. I hadn't seen her all morning but my God was she looking beautiful. More so than usual. I watched her happily smile at me as Lee's guitar playing slowly faded out.

The priest stood between us.

First of all, we would have to say our vows.

"You are the greatest friend I could ever ask for. You mean so much to me and I never want to let you go. Ali I love you so much and I want it to stay that way forever." I announce, it wasn't much but over the years I've realised I wasn't the best for words.

"Lewis, thank you for making me laugh and for making me one of the happiest women at Wellington. I love you"

The vowels were shorter than I had expected. The average clique. I told her how much she meant to me as I always did. They were perfect to me, she was perfect to me.

"I do" Ali suddenly announces. I couldn't believe I lost myself whilst she said the most important thing. I didn't even hear the Priest.

This was the moment that mattered the most. The moment that was worth everything. The moment I would remember until the day I die. I was half expecting Kelly to storm through and ruin everything, but she didn't.

I let off a little smile. She looked amazing in the dress.

'But if she's the one you want to be with, the one who makes you feel warm and happy inside, the one that will stick by you forever, your best friend. Marry her.'

I hear dads voice go off inside my head and it makes me smile a little more. Everything was going so slowly, really allowing me to catch the moment.

'Through every decision you make'

"Do you Lewis Turner take Ali Fields as your lawfully wedded wife?" The priest says in my left ear. I could see a single tear drip down the side of her face.

All of the fighting. We had finally found redemption. We had finally drifted away from inhumanity. Then here we are all of them years down the line.

"I do" I spill out of my mouth in a beautiful mess.

We weren't all perfect but we made it work. Another new addition to the Turner family. What started out as just my grandfather, my dad and uncle has now turned into something amazing.

Rebuilding life as we know it. It was safe to bring up children, get married and settle down. No threats.

"I now pronounce you husband and wife. You may now kiss the bride." The priest announces to my enjoyment. Was it really that easy?

I felt a presence of someone close nearby. Maybe it was Ali or just being surrounded by my entire family. Or maybe something supernatural depending on whether you believe in that or not.

But I pulled Ali close and interlocked my lips with hers. The perfect moment. I loved this girl so much. Hopefully we would be together forever. To extend the family name and continue to make the Turner family strong.

We were the people who helped to make this place the safe haven it is today. We were a family who stuck out for each other through thick and thin. It was a mess at times but it worked.

I was a Turner and I'll always be a Turner.

It was when I released the kiss and looking into Ali's eyes when I heard a familiar voice in my head once again.

'I'll always be there'

********

This was the last chapter. Apart from the Epilogue.... And maybe a little nutty chapter.

Any opinions?

Any questions?