37 - Backstabber

"I'm coming in this direction. I need to find Luke." Mom skips beside me as she walks over. The guy still leaning me in front.

"So, are you okay?" I ask her as we walk. She was most likely stressed, distraught from the incident.

"The shit I've been through, that was nothing." She let's out a light chuckle. I just roll my eyes and scratch my neck, I needed a shower. I felt so sweaty and dirty.

"Well, we're not all badass like you. Are we Mom?" I sigh with a smile. She instantly whacks me on the arm.

"Don't be cheeky." She scowls, also with a smile across her face.

As we walked my exhaustion got the better of me. I felt like I wanted to pass out. I was hungry, tired and stunk of dirt and sweat.

"Should we get dinner after? My stomach is eating itself." I ask her, suggesting maybe she could make it. I would help her of course. Think of it as a celebration.

"I'll think of something." Mom rolls her eyes.

The guy that was leading me stopped by the front of the office blocks and stared at me.

"Mr.Turner, we have a situation inside here. It's not for the faint of heart." He admits awkwardly rubbing the back of his neck. His eyes glistening with salty liquid.

"What's happened?" Mom suddenly panics. I realise why...Luke.

"A few of the men got inside the office block. Ruthless and gruesome. No survivors." The man in red admits. My face drops and my mom starts to shake. This was my fault.

I push the guy out of the way more harshly than I had intended. Mom followed me then suddenly darted off up the stairs. I knew exactly where she was going.

"Luke!" She shouts pacing up the matted carpeted stairs. Up to the old room where the old man lived.

"Mom wait!" I run after her. I didn't want her to see this. Not on her own.

I ran up the stairs as fast as my fatigued body would allow. When I reached the floor Luke had lived I saw mom paused outside of his door.

"Mom..." I pant as I walk to the end of the corridor. I stand beside her pale face and look inside the dark room.

The door was swung open. Inside was Luke laying on the floor, face down. He was facing away from us, looking towards the door. But the stab wounds in his back proved the attack. I turn around in shock and see the room opposite, where mom and dad lived once. A woman, with the same stab wounds. Dead inside.

"Luke..." My mom pants out before leaping beside him. I step into the musty room.

The old wooden shelves full of VHS tapes loomed over the dark room. An old machete on the wall. My mom sat beside him, kneeling in his blood.

A stab wound was also through his temple. They knew how to kill without making them return. I'd never seen someone reanimate, but I don't think I'd want to. Nobody would want to.

"Luke...no....no..." I listen to my moms wails as she kneels by him and begins to push back his long grey hair. I cover my mouth and try not to cry, but it had to be done. I had to cry.

The tears streamed down my face. Luke had been murdered due to my choice. This is what Redwood was talking about, he would make me regret.

I didn't say anything as I paced around and cried. Listening to my moms own exaggerated sobs. The person she had been the closest to the longest. Her 'brother', her best friend. Her lifeline.