23 - Democracy

A day had passed and I had trouble sleeping. Considering I slept in reception, on the floor. Not only that but I was thinking of what Sam said. I needed to call a meeting and that's exactly what I did.

"We have two options. We either leave this place or we go to war. I want a vote from all board members. All in favour of leaving say I." I begin to speak at the front of the room.

Three people raise their hands and I point towards one of them.

"We'll be losing so many lives if there's a war. So many innocent people could die.Will we even have enough men?" The woman explains her point. I nod and a few people agree.

"If people die, that's a risk I'm willing to take. People died to create this place, people will die saving this place too." I say in front of all of the people that showed up. Some were disgusted, others agreed with me.

"So if we do go to war...what happens then?"

"We kill every son of a bitch from the other camp until none of them are willing to fight no longer." I explain as I lean on the desk. I had to be the awkward one. The only one standing up.

"What do they even demand?" Another person shouts from across the room.

"By the sounds of it something has gone down at their own camp. Illinois, we'll probably never find it, however next time they come we set up a spy system to stalk them back to their camp. If someone really wants to be dangerous you could try and make your way into the camp. That way we could possibly have an upper hand." I explain as I begin to pace.

"I think we should fight. I mean, we've lived here for years. Some of us even our entire lives, what isn't there to fight for?" Brittany suddenly pipes up. I agreed with everything she said.

"That's exactly what I'm trying to get across. My grandfather didn't build this place to be destroyed. He built this place for us to live. For us to actually survive in a sustainable world. A place where children could be children. A safe haven." I say loudly enough so everyone at the table could hear me.

"Your dad would want you to fight for this. He would hate to see this place fall." Mom grabs my arm as I walk by her near the table. I agreed with her. Dad would do everything for Wellington, so would I. I nod back at her.

I still hadn't told mom about Lee and Kelly. I couldn't bare it.

"All in favour of defending Wellington with all means necessary say I and raise your hand." I announce.

I watch more than half of the people in the rooms hands raise above their heads.

"It's settled then. We prepare for warfare. First plan of action, do a count in the armory. Everyone must be equipment with a weapon. Target practice will begin in 2 days, we have no time to lose. The old walls of Wellington will need to be rebuilt, this time around all of the properties. Patrol members are back but this time it's constant. Patrol members must work at least 5 hour shifts and there will be people around the entire perimeter. Brittany, we need a count on medical supplies and we need training courses for everyone, example how to help a bullet wound?" I begin to shout, I see people taking down notes.

"Got it" Brittany nods.

"All women and Children will be kept on the South side whilst any warfare is occurring. I am also going to put forward another thing, Nicholas Bennett. Our prisoner here at Wellington, below our feet right now. My suggestion is using Nicholas as one of our soldiers. This means, allowing him to come out and fight alongside us." I timidly suggest. Everyone exchanges glances.

"You want Mr.Bennett fighting with us? Out of jail?" The man in a red shirt asks.

"I believe he is a very good shot, he used to go hunting a lot. Nicholas would be...beneficial to our fight." I tell the group of people. They didn't seem too keen on the idea. "As soon as the war is over, he can go straight back. We need everyone to input else this is never going to work."

Everyone continues to exchange stares.

"On one condition. Nicholas is to stay on the North side of Wellington. He is not allowed past the industrial line. If he wants housing, he will live in one of the old huts or the office block. We can't have him socialising with the residents, or terrorising more women." Another man watches me as he speaks. Like a bird of prey.

"I think we can all agree upon that. Nicholas Bennett will be freed on terms of restrain and willingness to fight. Housing arrangement will most likely go as follows, living with his father in office block A." I knock my hand on the table. Pretending to be a high court judge or some shit.

"About war. What if these people never come back?" A woman to the back said. I was terrible with names.

"I'm almost certain they will return. You don't find something like this and just toss it to the side. That's like finding a diamond and putting it in the trash, you just don't do it." I explain as I rub the top of my head.

Sam and his men would return, I knew it. Why wouldn't they? It was the inevitable. A place like this, they couldn't deny.

"So how long do we have?"

"I'd estimate 3 weeks or sooner. I mean, he said I had 3 weeks to prepare so be it. 3 weeks it is, but we want everything fully operational before a 1 week period is up. If it's not, we're already failing." I say to all of the people who sort of put trust into me.

"You expect us to complete that much in a week?"

"Yes, I do. If we don't, we're all dead." I stroke my hair again.

People begin to stand up. Knowing that the job at hand is massive. I had so much to do and so little time to do it in. I would get to a point where I'd cease to function.

My mom comes over after the speeches that I had just said. I wouldn't say that I was a good public speaker but I could stand and talk without fucking it up too much.

"This doesn't seem real." Mom admits to me as she straightens my T-shirt like any mother would.

"What does that mean?" I question as I peer up and see everyone leave.

"I mean that ,well...people just showing up and demanding our home. It doesn't seem right. It's been too long, we've worked too hard to destroy it." She says after she steps back and examines my clothing.

"So...you don't want to go to war?"

"Fuck yeah! We kill every last one of them greasy motherfuckers. They're not taking our home. You can't let them. We won't let them." Mom says with a smile.

I couldn't help but smile back.

"So...can I sleep in the spare bedroom?" I question awkwardly. She looks up.

"What? Why?"

"Long story, I'll tell you soon. I promise." I give my mom a hug.

"Of course you can. You're always welcome. You should know this."

Always welcome? Why were my siblings always so willing to kick me away?

As much as I loved this family. They were a pain in the ass.

*****

Should Nick be released for war?