35 - Coward

CLEM POV

I walk down the street towards the warzone, I wanted to make sure everyone was safe. I look to my left and see somebody I recognised.

"Craig?" I question walking over to the cowering man. The same man that I had spoken to after Josh's death. The only person who I had felt safe with for a long time.

"C-Clem" he whimpers by the side of the house. His legs between his arms as he sat shaking.

I took a few steps forwards to see him.

"What are you doing?" I question as I see a gun laying on the floor beside him.

"It's been too long since all of this shit. It hurts...to see it happen again." He stutters. I kneel beside him.

"You know, there's people fighting out there. My sons." I say closely to him as I stay kneeled.

He nods his head. Obviously shaken up by the fear of dead again.

"And well, I don't appreciate people like you sitting on the sideline doing JACK SHIT!" I scream before standing up. The look on his face was priceless, like I'd just shot him in the foot.

He didn't deserve to cower. He needed to be out there and fighting, risking his life just as my boys are doing. But he just stood up and looked at me blankly.

"I'm sorry, Clem. I just... I don't want to lose you. I don't want you to lose me." He awkwardly admits.

I harshly begin to laugh. Craig was a good friend, he was there for me at certain times but in reality he was just a lonely man. He was weak. Craig wasn't like me, I could never be with him. He hides from fear. I face it.

"What do you not get about 'my sons are fighting'? My boys could be in danger and you're not even helping the effort." I scowl the older man who just happened to tower me. He needed to help out, not just sit back and do nothing.

"I'm sorry." He looks downwards, takes his hand and then attempts to touch my face with it.

This was bullshit. I swatted his crusty hand away. I didn't need this shit right now. I didn't want this shit. I needed to check if...important people were safe.

"I've never thought about you like that, you know this Craig so quit with the childish shit and grow the fuck up! Get out there and shoot some sons of bitches!" I growl, it had been a long time since I was able to shout like that.

I think the last time I shouted like that was when Lewis repeated kept the toilet seat up just to piss me off. Josh used to do that too.

Craig looked pale. I had no time for this, I began to walk to another destination. I wanted to see if Luke was alright, he had...disappeared. He should have still been in his room.

"Josh isn't going to come back Clem. You need to wake up." Craig suddenly says under his breath as I step away from him.

I stop in my tracks and squeeze the gun, attempting to clench my fists. I take a sudden turn and stare at the now repulsive man.

"I woke up a long time ago." I snap back, urging myself not to pull the trigger on his lower intestines. But I didn't want to be like that. I didn't want to kill for no reason other than being an annoying asshole.

I strut off, like the badass that I was. Holding my rifle close and exiting the wall. The wall only covered the industrial side, walking around it was easy. Right past Jerricks original farm, we had expanded greatly since then.

I make my way around the wall. The gunfire could still be heard but I couldn't see what was going on. All I hoped for is for my family to stay safe.

I mutter to myself as I walk around the large structure.

"I know this isn't the sort of thing to speak about right now, but the new rug in our bedroom. Do you like it? I didn't really know what colour to pick, or if it goes with the wallpaper. I was thinking maybe I could redecorate the spare room. It's not that I want Lewis out, I just want change and well...it keeps me busy"

I enjoyed talking. It wasn't that I was talking to myself, hopefully I was talking to someone. If I ever had a problem I would go to Josh and well...the only way to talk to him is to talk aloud.

Maybe he was listening. Nobody would ever know.

I continued to walk around the perimeter of the walls, coming to the corner and poking my head around. Only a few of Redwood's men were outside the wall, reloading guns and sweating in the sunset.

I look over to the side. The hill that I always used to sit with Josh on. Now littered with bodies. I hoped someone destroyed the brains, I don't need that shit again.

I aim my rifle and take one of the men down. They all looked around in shock, unaware of my ghostly properties. Another falls down and then another. I missed this.

After taking out all my targets I hobble along towards the opening where the ruthless men had blasted through. The gunfire by the gate still continued to ring. I peaked around the corner. All I could see was men and trucks. I could easily take out a few targets back here. My gunfire would be masked by their own.

Moving up to a new position I make my way to another truck, quickly popping a few bullets into the back of someone's head. I could have sworn I saw Lewis and Lee stood by a car. Most likely fighting. I just wish they'd get down, it's dangerous.

I look off to my side and see a gunman aim at Lee as he shoots I pull the trigger. But the gunman collapsed and so did Lee. Shit. My son. He could be dead.

I stand behind the truck and reload. Taking a deep breath and closing my eyes for just a second to mourn for my son. These people needed to pay for what they did. I suddenly dart around, ready to go free fire. Shoot as many as I could see.

"Ahh, darling. Please don't hurt my feelings. You must be..." A musty man stands behind me. I hear the click of a handgun and the metal touch the back of my head. I gulped.

Saying nothing I take a deep breath.

"Now drop your weapon and kindly tell me your name. Walk with me" He commands. I drop the weapon on the floor and he digs the barrel into the back of my head, pushing me forward.

"Clem...Turner" I stupidly admit. I could just imagine that bastards cheesy grin right now. He begins to laugh as we walk outside of the wall.

"This needs to end Clem. My men are dying, you need to surrender. Do the right thing. We have women and children at our camp, this is a sustainable home." Redwood says in a raspy voice. Such bullshit.

"We have women and children too." I growl, thinking about the mass amount of people that lived at Wellington. Many of the men were now gone. Women left to fend for themselves.

"But...mine are more important." I shout as I kick him in the knee the best I could but he just ended up grabbing me around the neck and tightening his grip.

"Fucking bi-" Just as I was struggling and he held the pistol to my temple something made us both stop.

A massive explosion.

"We're going to investigate. You're my new hostage." He leans over my shoulder and smiles.

*****

So. I made a podcast, you guys might be interested as I will also be talking about the book series.

SoundCloud.com/DepressedCarrot