13. STEVEN

Rubbing shaving cream between my hands, I applied it to my cheeks, chin and neck before washing my hands and picking up my razor. I was almost done shaving when Thomas entered the bathroom.

Without looking at me, he reached into the shower and opened the taps. He mumbled something under his breath when he realized that there were no clean towels.

It was his turn to do the laundry and I'd been nagging him all week to get started on it but he always made excuses. Chucking, I washed the excess shaving cream from my face and grabbed my dirty shirt to dry my face.

"I told you to do the washing."

"Shut up," he grumbled. "Why are you up so early anyway? I thought you said that you didn't have class today."

"I don't," I told him as I picked the bottle of aftershave up. "I have a date."

That got his attention. Storming over to me, he ripped the bottle from my hand and glared at me.

"I knew this was going to happen. I should've dragged you home instead of leaving you there with her."

Grabbing the bottle from him, I opened it and added some aftershave to my cheeks. I would've stayed either way. We shouldn't have ordered so many drinks for her. But then again we had no idea that she was such a lightweight.

The last thing I wanted to do when we drove her home was leave her alone. She could've choked on her own vomit while she was sleeping.

My lips tilted up into a smile as I remembered our breakfast. We hadn't talked much then but I enjoyed spending time with her. She wasn't one to make meaningless conversation like women usually did, and it was clear that Albany wasn't only interested in one thing.

Although, she had wanted me to kiss her.

I kind of regretted not taking her up on the offer, but I wasn't my brother. Sex wasn't the only thing on my mind.

Besides, there would be time to kiss her still. Today wasn't the only date I was planning on going on with her. I had a feeling that the other men would strike during the upcoming week. We were all competitive but this time things were going to be different.

It wasn't about a sport or some meaningless one night stand. Albany was more than that.

I stilled as a thought hit me, but I instantly shook it away. Nothing like that was going to happen—ever. I wasn't going to allow it.

"Where are you going?" Thomas asked.

I smirked at him as I dumped my shirt into the basket and walked out of the bathroom. Thomas followed me all the way down the hall and into my bedroom where he continued to fire questions at me.

Dropping the towel, I pulled on a pair of boxer briefs and then my jeans. Finding a shirt that was more casual was harder than I expected. My wardrobe consisted mostly of slacks and button-down shirts since I worked at the University.

"Can I borrow a shirt?" I asked my brother.

"No," he answered without hesitation. "Wear your own fucking shirts!"

I winced when he slammed the door closed behind him. Well, that was a first. I really didn't have time for my brother's childish behaviour. There were a few things I needed to do before I picked Albany up at nine.

Rolling my eyes, I reached into my closet and pulled out a shirt that was a bit more worn than all the others. With it in my hand, an idea hit, making me smirk. I threw it onto the bed and then exit my room. Pausing by the bathroom door, I listened to make sure that Thomas was in the shower before I snuck into his room and snagged one of his shirts.

He'd never miss it.

***

I parked the truck in front of the entrance, grabbed the leash from the glove box and slid out. Twigs snapped under my shoes as I walked up the path to the door. It opened before I could grip the handle.

A smile instantly slid onto my face when I came face to face with a woman I considered a very dear friend.

"Steven," she exclaimed when she looked up. "What are you doing here? Don't you have things to do?"

"Nope. How can I give up such a perfect day to—?"

"Yeah, yeah, no need to be such a suck-up." Stepping back, Wanda gestured for me to enter. "You know your way."

"Of course." I slipped past her and into the building but grabbed hold of her arm before she could walk away. "Hey, Wanda, can I take Spotty out for the day?"

She waved her hand at me. "You know you don't have to ask, Steven. Just make sure that he's back in time for his dinner."

"We'll be back on time."

I greeted the two young girls with a nod as I slipped through the gate and then the back door that led to the kennels. Barks and growls echoed around the air as I walked to the back where the bigger dogs were being held.

"Hey Steven!"

"Hey! How's Billy doing?" I asked one of the other volunteers.

"He's a pain in the ass, but I love him more and more every day."

Chuckling, I waved at her and turned left. A few more steps further and Spotty's kennel came into view. My heart constricted when my eyes fell on the dog curled up on the blanket at the back of the kennel.

"Hey boy," I called softly as I crouched in front of the gate. "There's someone I'd like for you to meet. Are you up for a walk in the park, boy?"

Spotty raised his head and blinked at me. My brows dipped into a frown. Something was wrong; it wasn't the usual reaction he showed whenever I came to take him out.

Reaching up, I opened the gate and pushed it open. After a bit of a struggle, he got to his feet and made his way over to me. His tale was waggling but without the usual excitement.

"Hey," I whispered as I petted him. "You don't want to go out, today?"

A few licks to my face were his answer. I held the leash up and allowed him to sniff at it before I slipped it around his neck. He licked my fingers and then he slipped past me. I chuckled and straightened so I could follow him.

He wasn't as excited as he used to be, but he didn't want to stay cooped up in his cage today.

"Have fun," one of the girls said as we walked out of the building.

I opened the door and then bend down to slip my arms underneath his body to help him into the truck. Spotty walked across the seat and poked his face out of the half open window.

"Right, boy, let's get going. We have to pick Albany up first before we can go to your favourite place."

I started the truck and reversed. My phone pinged from my pocket but I didn't pull it out to check because I had a feeling that it was only Thomas. I wasn't going to allow him to ruin my date with Albany.

A few minutes to nine, I pulled up in front of Albany's apartment building and to my surprise she was already waiting out front. Setting the truck in park, I jumped out and hurried around the front.

"Morning," I greeted with a smile.

"Hi. You're early."

I shrugged and scratched the back of my neck. My eyes darted over her and relieve flooded me when I realized that she was dressed casually. No need to ask her to changed.

"Now who's this little darling," she cooed as she reached out to pet Spotty.

"This here is Spotty and he's going to join us today." Uncertainty suddenly filled me. "You don't mind, do you?"

She turned to look at me. "Of course not! I love animals."

Great! I blew out a breath and helped her into the truck. My eyes darted around as I hurried to get in besides her. Starting the truck, I glanced over at her before I pulled out of the parking lot.

"Ready?" I asked her.

"Yes."