18. ALBANY

"Do you want me to get you a calculator?"

Steven glanced up at me and smiled. "No, I don't need it. Thank you."

I nodded and dropped my hands to my lap. There was absolutely nothing for me to do. They had it all handled and I wasn't sure whether I needed to be happy or not. I had no knowledge except for what little Crystal had tried to teach me.

"Who did your books before Lee started?" Steven asked without looking up.

"I tried but I don't really have a head for it, so Crystal took over until she. . . she couldn't do it anymore and then Lee started."

"Crystal did a great job."

"T-thank you."

She would've beamed at him for the compliment, and then flirted.

I pressed a hand to my chest when I was hit with a sudden wave of longing. What I would give to hear her voice and feel her hug one last time. We'd be sitting on the couch eating popcorn and making fun of people on TV.

"Albany?"

My eyes snapped up. I had no clue who had called me because both men were staring at me with a frown. My eyes darted between the two of them and then lowered again.

"Do you have receipts from the bakery?" Steven asked.

I blinked at him, unable to comprehend what he was asking me at first but after a few minutes his words penetrated my mind. I nodded and then shook my head.

"I do, but they're not here. Lee keeps them at the bakery." The two men glanced at each other, making me frown. "What?"

Severide hesitated before he answered. "I noticed that the books aren't adding up which was why I called Steven."

"I won't be able to say for sure until you give me the receipts for the last few months," Steven said before I could utter a world. "I'm only going to check the last four months and if it still doesn't add up then I'll go further back."

Panic hit. I had no idea what they were talking about, but I had a feeling that things weren't going to end well at all for my bakery. How had I not noticed the fact I missed paying bills?

An arm wrapped around my shoulder and pulled me back against a firm chest. I looked up at Severide who was crouched next to me. He gave me a small smile and lowered his head to press his lips to my forehead.

"Don't worry, sweets," he muttered. "Steven and I will take care of everything."

"I—"

My words were silenced by his lips.

They only brushed mine—as light as a feather—before he pulled away to look down at me. I blinked at him in shock and surprise.

"W-what did you do that for?" I whispered.

Severide smiled at me. "Because I wanted to."

I glanced at Steven but he was focused on the book once more and not paying any attention to us. A soft touch to my cheek made me look back at Severide.

He was staring down at me intently. Why was he looking at me like that? His eyes dropped to my lips once again and darkened. Was he going to kiss me again?

My heartbeat increased and my eyes fluttered closed as Severide lowered his head again. This time I was prepared for his kiss, but not for the intensity of the kiss.

The pressure of his lips increased with every brush of our lips. His teeth nipped and his tongue stroke—in all honesty, I'd never been kissed the way he was kissing me.

I reached up and buried my hands in his hair and arched my body against his. Severide's hand slid down my back, rested on my hip for a few minutes before moving lower to grip the back of my thigh.

To my surprise, he pulled me onto his lap so I straddled him. The hard ridge of his arousal made heat flood my body. Images of him standing naked by the end of his bed, flashed through my mind again.

I tugged on his hair and moved my hips.

Severide groaned, making shivers race down my spine. My stomach clenched and wetness flooded my panties.

"As much as I love the show you're putting on for me, I'm afraid that I'm going to have to stop things from going any further."

I jerked away from Severide in horror. I'd completely forgotten about the fact that we weren't alone. Steven sat only a few feet away! What was he thinking of me now? I couldn't look at him, but the moment I wanted to get up to make a run for the bathroom, Severide's hands dropped to my hips to prevent me from getting up.

My wide eyes shot up to his, but he wasn't looking at me.

"Are you leaving?" he asked Steven.

"Yes, it's getting late. You know that some of us actually enjoy our beauty sleep," Steven muttered.

He didn't sound angry.

Pressing my hands to Severide's shoulders, I used it as leverage to push myself up onto shaky legs, and took a few steps back. My lips were still tingling from the kiss.

After a deep breath, I risked a glance in Steven's direction. His eyes locked with mine for a few seconds before they dropped as he stood. Steven stacked everything on top of each other and then straightened.

"Is it okay if I stop by your bakery tomorrow. . . say around lunch? I can go over the receipts and then check the books further?"

I bit my lip as I pondered over his question. He wanted to stop by my bakery and although Severide had been there numerous times, having Steven stop by felt different.

In the end I nodded because they were right. I needed their help otherwise I would never be able to get a loan from the bank.

"D-do you need anything else?"

"I'll tell you once I take a look at those receipts."

Steven grabbed his jacket and shrugged it on and then surprised me when he placed his hand on my hip and leaned down to press a soft kiss to the corner of my lips.

"Sweet dreams, brown eyes," he muttered. "See you tomorrow."

And then he was gone, leaving Severide and I alone. Clearing his throat, he picked up his jacket and smiled at me.

"You're leaving too?"

"Do you want me to stay?" he asked.

"No!" I nearly yelled.

Chuckling, he closed to space between us and pulled me into his arms for a short kiss. Severide's stared down at me for a few more seconds before he took a step back.

"Maybe another time." He walked over to the door and pulled it open, but turned to look at me over his shoulder. "We're going out to dinner tomorrow night. I'll pick you up at eight."

I blinked at the closed door for a few minutes before I spun on my heels and walked over to the window. Gripping the curtain, I pushed it aside and stared down at the street below.

Steven was leaning against the side of his truck with his arms crossed over his chest and his head tilted up to the sky. I almost jerked away because I was afraid that he'd see me, but Steven suddenly lowered his head and smirked at someone else.

Not even a moment later Severide walked into view. He paused in front of Steven and said something that made Steven laugh. Shaking his head, he straightened and punched Severide in the chest before he made his way around his truck to the driver's side.

With the door open, he paused and said something else to Severide before he climbed in the truck. A few seconds later he pulled away from the curb and disappeared down the street.

My eyes dropped to Severide who still stood in the same place. He glanced up and down then started making his way over to his car. Like Steven, he paused before he got into the car. But he tilted his head back to look up—right at me.

He smiled and then he was sliding into his car and driving away too.

Why did I suddenly have the urge to call them both and tell them to come back?