14. ALBANY

"So you volunteer at the animal shelter every weekend?"

Steven shook his head. "No. Unfortunately, I don't get as much time as I would like to. I've been busy the last few weeks so I haven't had much time to take Spotty out for his usual walks."

My eyes dropped to the dog that was walking slightly ahead of us. I wasn't expecting him to be so. . .calm. The other dogs were running around like crazy and barking as they played. Spotty only watched them with a bored look.

"Isn't it kind of . . . mean to have a favourite?" I asked him.

"Probably." Steven sighed. "I don't know how to explain it to you."

"How did he end up in the shelter?"

Steven slipped the leash onto his other wrist and stared down at Spotty for a few seconds. It looked like he was in pain or something. Reaching up, he ran a hand through his hair and then looked at me.

"I found him abandoned at the side of the road. He was in a box with his legs tied together with tape. Very malnourished and on the brink of death."

I sniffed and reached up to wipe the tears from my face. Steven threw and arm around my shoulders and pulled me against his side.

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean to make you cry."

"I just don't understand how people can be so cruel," I croaked.

"You and me both, brown eyes."

His lips brushed my hair a few seconds before his arm dropped back to his side. I instantly wished that he hadn't stepped away. His touch was comforting and not as uncomfortable as Lee's touch.

If he hugged me right at the moment, I would completely melt against him.

"Are you hungry?" Steven asked.

I nodded. He led the way over to a shack a few feet ahead of us. The smell of fried goods made my stomach grumble in hunger. I had eaten a slice of toast before I left my apartment, but it wasn't as fulfilling.

Steven handed Spotty's leash to me after asking what I wanted to eat. I watched him walk away to stand in tow. My eyes darted over his lean form but quickly darted away when he turned to look at me over his shoulder.

The black shirt he wore clung to his upper body like a second skin. There was something very different about him today but I just couldn't place my finger on it.

Steven ended up ordering Breakfast burgers for both of us along with three bottles of water and an empty cup. What does he want to do with the cup?

My confusion cleared up when we took a seat on a bench in the shade. Placing the water down, he grabbed the third one and unscrewed the cap. I watched as he poured water into the cup until it was half and then leaned forward to place it down by our feet. A few seconds later Spotty, stood and walked over to it.

"I didn't even think of getting him some water," I admitted softly.

I sat sideways and crossed one leg over the other as I pulled the wrapping from my burger and then lowered it to my lap. Taking off the top bun, I searched to make sure that there wasn't anything strange on it and then put it back together.

When I looked up, I found Steven staring at me with amusement flashing through his eyes.

"What?"

He shook his head and looked down at his own burger. "Nothing."

I took a bit of my burger and slowly chewed it. Once I swallowed, I risked a glance up at him from beneath my lashes. He was leaning back and staring at something in the distance.