25. ALBANY

It felt like I'd gone to sleep and woke up in another universe.

I barely had a day to myself because the guys took turns in taking me out on dates. At first it was a bit confusing but it started to make sense when they took me out to do things that Crystal had written on the bucket list—the old list and not the new one.

Although Severide and I had come close to having sex a few times, I hadn't gotten so close to any of the others. They kissed me on the cheek or forehead and Thomas strangely hugged me goodbye.

It felt like I was cheating on them at first but later on I started liking the idea of being with them. There was something different about each and every one of them. Something that made me fall in love a little more each day.

Was it wrong to love four men? Okay, I wasn't a hundred percent sure that I loved them, but I was certainly starting to fall for them.

Loving all of them could only lead to trouble, right? It would only lead to heartbreak and that was the last thing I wanted.

***

"Hi, I'm looking for Steven. . .uh. . .Professor Steven. . ." I trailed off and gave her a small smile. "I'm sorry I forgot his last name."

The elderly woman waved her hand and gave me a friendly smile. "It happens to all of us. Is he expecting you?"

I was about to shake my head but decided against it and gave her a nod instead. She told me that I could find him in his office and then handed me a map with the path to it marked clearly with black pen.

Steven and I had a date, but I wasn't going to be able to make it. I thought it would be best to cancel our date in person rather than over the phone. I needed a bit of space—time for myself to make sense of the emotions running through me.

It was easy enough to find the building where his office was located. A breath fell from my lips when I entered and found that all the doors were marked by names.

The hall was deserted as I made my way down it. I took in the posters decorating the walls as I passed them. At the end of the hall was a door with Steven's name in black bold capital letters. I raised my hand to knock only to pause when I realized that the door stood slightly ajar.

Voices drifted towards me.

"Come on Steven! Tell me."

"I'm busy, Thomas."

"This is important!"

One of them groaned. For a few minutes silence filled the room before the sound of shuffling papers broke it. A chair creaked.

"Thomas—"

"I need to know what—"

"You need nothing. I told you from the start that using that bucket list was a mistake. Albany isn't a toy, Thomas. She's not one of your booty calls either," Steven said.

"I know that!" Thomas yelled. "I know that something's going on between her and Severide. They seem pretty cosy together. He was the one who made the no sex rule. He was the one who said that I'm not allowed to seduce her, but look what he's doing."

"You and Kieran were the ones who started it. You agreed to the bet—"

Steven's words broke off when he pulled the door open and our eyes locked. The colour drained from his face and his eyes widened in horror.

I stumbled backwards when he reached out.

"Albany—"

"So it's all part of a bet?" I asked him. "None of it is real is it? It's all been a game for you?"

"Listen—"

I shook my head and held up a hand to silence him. My eyes darted over his shoulder to Thomas when he stepped into view. He opened his mouth but I didn't stick around to listen to what he was about to say.

Spinning on my heels, I took off running. They were right behind me, calling my name and begging me to stay so they could explain things. But listening was the last thing I wanted to do. I needed to get as far away from them as possible.

"Albany." A hand grabbed hold of my arm and spun me around. "Let me explain."

I struggled in his hold. "Explain? What's there to explain? Here I thought that our dates meant something to all of you and now I found out that it's only part of a fucking bet!" I sucked in a breath. "Tell me Steven, what does the winner get? Money? A roll in the hay? A—"

"You," he yelled over me. "The winner gets you."

I blinked at him, shocked into silence.

His hold on my hands loosened but he didn't let me go. Steven glanced around and then leaned down. "It's not like one of those bets made in high school. Look, this isn't the best place to talk about it. I'll—"

"I don't want to hear anything, Steven. You had your fun and it's over now." I ripped my arm from his hold. "How far were you planning on going?"

"Just let me explain, Albany."

"Leave me alone!" I called over my shoulder as I hurried away.

I wanted to run, but I didn't. I didn't want to give him the satisfaction of knowing that what they had done hurt me. When Severide admitted to taking a picture of the bucket list, I should've suspected it was what they were going to use it for to get to me.

A fucking bet. It was all part of a fucking bet.

Was I just a toy to them?

I risked a glance over my shoulder but Steven no longer stood there. Did I really mean so little to them?