21. ALBANY

Steven was right.

Sleeping helped clear my mind but not by much. The moment I opened my eyes and the sleep faded, the worries started to pile up. Lee was supposed to be my friend; I had trusted her to take care of my bakery while I couldn't.

How could she betray me like that?

Reaching up, I rubbed the sleep from my eyes and blinked up at the ceiling. After a few seconds, I sat up and threw my legs over the side of the bed. My eyes darted around the bedroom.

Everything was neat and placed in their spot. His room was a lot cleaner than my bathroom at my apartment. The urge to snoop was strong but I pushed it aside and made my way over to the door.

It was slightly ajar so I only had to push it open a few inches more to slip outside. My eyes darted up and down the hall. To the right were two doors—one was open, revealing a bathroom—and the other one were closed.

I turned left and walked out into a spacious living room. A wall separated the living room from what looked like a sunroom with green plants and weaved couches.

Voice pulled me into the back of the house towards the kitchen. I folded my arms across my chest and leaned in the doorway and silently watched them.

Steven stood by the stove, stirring something in a pot. He was still dressed in his wrinkled close from earlier but he had discarded his shoes and now stood in dark grey socks.

His brother sat at a long table, eyes focused on his phone.

"Severide is a damn genius," Thomas was saying. "Why hadn't I thought of that?"

"Invading someone's privacy is not genius," Steven muttered.

"He didn't invade her privacy, he found it."

"It's still the same."

"I'm not going to argue with you."

"Good." The silence lasted for only a few seconds. "She has a few interesting things on here. Have you read it yet?"

Steven glanced at his brother over his shoulder. "As far as I can understand, Severide has the list and he never agreed to share it with any of us. How did you get it?"

"I sent the photo to myself when he wasn't looking."

Whatever Steven muttered was too low for me to hear. Silence settled in the kitchen again with the only sound being Steven moving about as he cooked. The smell that filled my nostrils made my stomach grumble. I was hungry and I was too stressed to even notice it.

"You should see the things she has on the list."

"Things you're planning on using to get her—"

"What did you do on you date?" Thomas interrupted.

"It's none of you business," Steven muttered.

"Did you have sex?"

Steven chuckled. "Why, are you scared she'd take off running when she sees your dick?"

"Leave my dick out of this," Thomas called.

I straightened and entered the kitchen. "What's wrong with your penis?"

Apparently whatever I said was hilarious because Steven started laughing his ass off. Thomas stared at me with his mouth hanging open and his eyes wide in shock. I tilted my head to the side and raised a questioning eyebrow at him.

Thomas slammed his fist down on the elbow, making me jump. He got to his feet and turned his head to glare at his twin.

"Why the hell didn't you tell me that Albany was here?"