19. ALBANY

I had gotten too used to having Lee around, I realized the next morning as I tried to keep up with everything that needed to be done. I had to help the customers at the front and keep an eye on the cakes baking in the oven. Then there were a dozen cupcakes that needed to be decorate and made ready for pickup at one o'clock.

There was so much that needed to be done still.

I smiled at the woman as I handed her her change and then the paper bag with the five brownies in them. Before I could slip into the kitchen, the next customer stepped forward and rattled off their order.

There was no way I could keep up with my orders and help the customers. Not today. . . not any day. If I could manage a loan from the bank then I could hire someone to help me out. But just the thought of having to teach them how to do everything all over again, made me feel discouraged.

I had no strength left for it—for anything. The bell above the door rang, making me bite back a groan.

"Welcome to Albany's Baked Good, how may I help you?"

"I'd like to talk to the owner please."

My eyes shot up and my smile faded slightly. "I'm the owner. Can I help you with anything?"

The bald man placed his suitcase on the counter and flicked open the locks. Reaching inside, he pulled out an envelope and placed it aside then reached back inside to pull out a clipboard and pen.

"I need you to sign here for me." He pointed to a dotted line at the bottom of the page.

I took the pen from him with a shaky hand and signed the line he pointed at. When that was done, he placed the clipboard back into his suitcase and then picked up the envelope.

Without a word he handed it to me, and with a stiff nod, he turned and walked out. I swallowed as I stared down at the envelope. Was it more bad news?

I glanced around to make sure that there were no more customers that needed to be served, and then slipped into the kitchen. Using a knife, I slashed the envelope open and threw it onto the counter after pulling out the letter.

"Eviction notice," I read the title.

My shoulders slumped and my heart dropped to my stomach with every word I read. By the time I was done, tears blurred my vision. I was being evicted from my bakery. They couldn't do that, could they?

I reached for the phone and dialled a number before I remembered that nobody was going to answer it. Slamming the phone down, I threw the letter away and stormed out of the kitchen.

"Excuse me; I'm afraid I'm going to have to ask you all to leave. I have a family emergency and need to leave immediately."

They grumbled and threw glares my way as they gathered their stuff and walked out of the shop. I hurried over to the door the moment the last customer left and flicked the lock into place. Turning the sign over, I entered the kitchen just as the tears burst free.

Dropping to the floor, I curled up into a ball and gave over to the sobs that fell from my lips.

There was nothing left for me.

***

The ringing of my phone slowly pulled me from my deep thoughts. I was sitting on the floor with my back against the wall and my knees pulled up. My eyes stared unseeingly at the floor.

Letting out a sign, I slowly stood and walked over to it. Without glancing at the screen, I answered.

"Hello?"

"Albany?" Steven's voice drifted through the phone. "The bakery's closed. Where are you?"

"I-I—" I swallowed and reached up to pinch my nose. "I had some things to take care of so I left."