48. ALBANY

"Did you know about Severide's marriage?"

I felt him tense behind me. My eyes dropped to his hands when he moved them. He was gripping the reins so tightly that his knuckles turned white.

"Yes," Thomas answered softly. "They'd just gotten married when we met."

"Why didn't you say anything?"

Thomas sighed and pulled the horse to a stop. I frowned when he slid down and walked to the side of the horse. Placing a hand on my thigh, he waited until our eyes locked.

"It wasn't my place to tell," he said. "Look, Albany, I want to spend some time with you. I want to show you around and make you enjoy the rest of your stay here."

He gave my thigh a soft squeeze.

"If you're going to keep talking about them then we might as well turn around and go back to the house."

My eyes darted over his face as I tried to figure out what he was thinking. His lips were pursed and his eyes dark with anger. How could he be angry at me for asking something they should've told me from the start?

"I don't want. . ." he trailed off and made a gesture with his hand. "Everybody has gotten the chance to spend one on one time together. Every time we plan to go out, something happens." His eyes dropped for a few seconds before darting back up to mine. "I just want to spend some time with you, Al, without the mention of them or being interrupted by them."

I gave him a small smile. "I'm sorry. I didn't mean to ruin it. I'm just confused and hurt."

Thomas nodded. "Shift back in the saddle."

I frowned but followed his order. Once I was seated again, he started leading the horse. I was disappointed that he didn't get back onto the horse because I loved the feel of his hard body pressed to my back. Besides, it was a bit scary being on the horse alone.

We walked for a few minutes before he stopped and turned towards me. He gripped my hips and helped me off. My legs shook slightly but I wasn't sure whether it was because it was my first time riding on a horse or because to the sexual tension flashing through my body.

Giving my hips a squeeze, he winked at me. I thought he was going to kiss me when he moved closer, but he ended up reaching behind me into the saddlebag.

"What's that?"

"A walkie-talkie." He grabbed my hand. "Come on."

I followed him but glanced over my shoulder at the horse. "What about him?"

"He won't go anywhere."

A moment later we slowed. Thomas led me to stand behind the thick trunk of a tree. One glance around it showed a group of ranch hands fixing a broken fence.

"There's a walkie-talkie hidden in that bush over there." He pointed to it. "Thought this might be a bit more fun since there's not a lot of traffic at our house. Ready?"

I gave him a big smile as excitement filled me. "Yes!"

***

I was going to die of laughter.

Rolling onto my back, I pressed my palm against my mouth to silence the laughter that was spilling from my lips. Next to me Thomas snorted before his own laughter broke free.

His eyes locked with mine as he leaned back. "Want to try?"

I looked at the walkie-talkie he held out toward me and shook my head. There was no way I could possibly change my voice as much as he could. Besides, he knew exactly what to say to fuck with their minds.