22. ALBANY

Lamb stew and rice.

I couldn't remember the last time I had eaten homemade stew. The flavours that exploded in my mouth after the first bite made memories flood my mind. It was hazy and faded quickly before I could hold on to it, but it made the ache in my heart increase for some reason.

We ate dinner at the table in the kitchen and then moved to the living room when we were done. I took a seat on the single couch and watched as they all sat down.

I had stayed in Steven's room for a few more minutes and then joined them in the kitchen again where Severide and greeted me with a kiss to my cheek. He hadn't mentioned anything Steven told him then. But I knew it was coming.

My fingers clutched at the hem of my shirt as I waited. Steven was the first to break the silence. He explained the letter I had received and then the pattern he had picked up in the books so far. Along with that, he gave them a brief rundown of what had happened in the bakery. When the silence settled around us again, I spoke up. I told them what a shitty day I had and how much I struggled to keep up with anything.

"How much do you owe the landlord?" Severide questioned.

My mind blanked so Steven answered. He mentioned the sum that had been mentioned on the eviction notice.

"So all she has to do is pay the amount she owns him to keep the shop," Thomas said, which gave me hope.

But it faded when Severide shook his head.

"It's not that simple. When does your contract expire?"

I bit my lip as I thought back to the date written on the contract we signed. "It's a three year contract. I. . .I can't remember when it expires. In a few months I think."

"Did you have a lawyer look it over before signing it?"

"No." I lowered my eyes. "It seemed simple enough when I read through it. I didn't think I needed a lawyer."

Severide sighed and muttered a curse under his breath. I risked a glance at him from under my lashes and watched the disappointment flashing through his eyes. It didn't take a genius to realize that I had made a huge mistake.

"I messed up, hadn't I?" I asked softly.

"Probably." Severide stood. "I need you to give me the contracts so I can have one of my lawyers look it over. Maybe there's a clause in there somewhere that we can use against your landlord."

"And if there isn't?" I was afraid to know the answer, but I knew that I needed too.

When he didn't answer me, I looked up at him. Severide looked grim which gave me the answer I needed. If there was nothing we could use against him then I was going to lose my bakery.

I was going to lose everything I had worked so hard for.

"I'll give you a ride home, Albany," Severide said softly. "You can give me the contract then. The sooner we get it to the lawyers, the sooner we can get it sorted."

***

I didn't set my alarm the next day or the day after that. There was no energy whatsoever to get out of bed and leave my apartment—not after Severide called to let me know that there was nothing I could do to stop the landlord from kicking me out. He had explained everything to me but I hadn't understood a thing.

All I knew was that there was nothing I could to about it. Sheen wouldn't listen to reason even after I had told him that I would pay him everything I owed. He had made it clear that I still needed to pay him the money owed but he wasn't going to renew the contract.