29. STEVEN

I made the suggestion of using our truck but Severide instantly turned it down. We didn't know if the weather would stay the same and since it was a single cab the five of us wouldn't all fit in the front.

So, Severide was in charge of organizing the wheels while Thomas was getting everything we'd need for camping. Kieran was in charge of finding the beach house—something which pissed Severide off—and I was in charge of working out the best route we'd take.

Albany had nothing to do but pack her clothes and figure out who she wanted to do what with. From what she said the last time we talked, I knew that she was going to give up her apartment. She had some savings left that she wanted to use for the trip, but everything had already been paid for by Severide.

All we'd have to pay for were the snacks we'd be eating on the road and of course other unexpected expenses that might pop up. So far everything was going smoothly.

Everything except for my replacement.

I knew a total of two people who were capable of standing in for me, but they were both unavailable.

The last thing I wanted was to be excluded from the trip. I wanted to spend as much time with Albany as possible. It would suck if I couldn't go on the trip with them because of my job. I never hated my job as much as I hated it at the moment.

Shaking my head, I neatly folded the map I'd been busy with and placed it on top of the notebook that has a few places written down. It wasn't going to be a road trip if we didn't stop at places to explore things.

The door banged shut, drawing my attention. I looked up and froze when my eyes fell on Albany slowly making her way down the stairs.

My eyes slowly darted down her body. The shorts she wore were at least two sizes too big for her, as well as the t-shirt. Her sneakers were worn and had a few holes here and there. Albany's hair was tied in a messy bun but there were a lot of loose strands that fanned her face.

My eyes lingered on her toned legs. I bit my lip as I imagined those legs wrapped around my waist as I plunged into her wet heat.

"Hey," she said when she reached me.

"Hey."

Leaning back, I reached up and entwined my hands behind my head as I stretched out my legs. My eyes dropped to her lips when she captured her bottom one between straight white teeth. Her hands were fidgeting with the thin strap of the purse that hung over her shoulder.

"I went by your office but you weren't there. The woman said that I'd find you here." Her eyes darted around the lecture hall before lingering on the board. "I can't make out a thing you've written down on it."

I smiled. "Want me to explain it to you?"

Albany's eyes darted back to mine. I watched as her pupils dilated and colour flooded her cheeks. Instead of answering, she spun around and walked over to the front row of seats where she slid into one. With her hands curled around her small purse, she pushed her shoulders back and raised her chin.

"Excuse me, Professor Stevens; I'm afraid you lost me a while back. Can you please repeat it for me?" For added affect, she fluttered her eyelashes at me.

Chuckling, I stood and walked over to the blackboard. I hesitated a moment before I picked up the eraser and erased everything I'd written during my class. It took me a few seconds to find the chalk, but once I did, I instantly started explaining.

My mind blanked a few times when I turned to face her and found her eyes slowly trailing over my body. They lingered on my groin for a few seconds before trailing up again.