🎯Chapter 19🎯

'Our pursuers!' Ray and Y/n concluded, exchanging glances.

-----

"Insolent knave..." A voice scoffed.

'Damn it! Our pursuers are here at the worst time possible! Is it because this guy was raging around crazily? Tch...We almost had him! He would've fallen through the ground! If it weren't for these guys, we'd already be back with Emma and the others!' Ray grit his teeth.

'Wait...Are the others alright?! I think they got pretty far away, but it's not visible from over here! There's no way to know and no way to communicate! What do we do now?!'

Ray was clearly anxious from the way his eyes darted around and how he bit the inside of his cheek. Y/n noticed right away and after staring at the boy for a moment, he looked at the ground.

'Hmmm...I should let Ray run while I set myself up as bait!' Y/n thought.

A sudden image made its way to his mind and a wide grin stretched onto his face.

'Then, I'll get the chance to do what I want. Suicide, yes. Do I have any unfinished business? Yes. Do I care? I don't know. I just know that I'll be free to do as I please not only by losing these demons, but parting ways from the group.'

Ray slowly exhaled and rubbed his chin.

'Running is our only option...Y/n excels more in physical activity than me, but he's probably thinking about setting himself up as bait. But, I won't let him do that. I can't. He's most likely going to try to kill himself and I don't want that. Neither will any of the children.' Ray thought as he looked at the daydreaming brunette.

'The enemy...there's more than one. With two more running around, we barely have any routes left! Besides...that one guy...that head...He took off that giant monster's head in one swing! We're heavily lacking in both numbers and power! What's our next move?! How do we escape from here?! Damn it! I wish we at least knew if Emma and the others were safe or not!'

"Find anything?"

At that, Y/n and Ray peered from behind the tree to see the assumed leader facing his underlings.

"This thing hasn't eaten. I don't smell any scent of human from his mouth. It hasn't eaten a single human." One of the l demons said, kneeled beside the corpse.

'Oh, I see now...Maybe these guys...In that case...' Ray thought as he searched through his bag.

"Are you hiding over there? You can come out now." The leader spoke.

Ray furrowed his brows and completely hid himself behind the tree as the demon faced his and Y/n's direction.

"That was a close one, wasn't it? Thank goodness you're safe. It's alright now. I've taken care of the big bad monster. So come on out now, will you?" The deli spoke.

Y/n's face scrunched up and he shook his head from where he was hiding.

'No way. Does this demon think that we're dumb? Even the younger ones wouldn't fall for sure a ruse.' He mused.

The leader exhaled at the silence, understanding that the kids weren't giving in easily. One of his underlings stepped forward.

"Should I go and drag them out?" The underling asked.

"No, it's fine. Stay where you are." The leader ushered before looking back at the tree.

"Are you two by yourselves?" He asked aloud.