🩸Chapter 56🩸

"I BRING ILL TIDINGS! ARCHDUKE LEWIS HAS APPEARED IN THE SOUTHWEST FOREST! THE RATRI FORCES STRONGHOLD HAS BEEN ANNIHILATED!" A person exclaimed. "GENERAL RATRI IS ALSO MOST LIKELY..."

"I'M GOING TO SEARCH FOR HIM!" The orange-haired man told the others.

"I'll go with you!" The white-haired woman said.

"Alright!"

"If he's still alive, we may not have much time. Besides, if their entire force did end up being wiped out, if we don't recover the corpses, they'll eat them-!"

"Wait!" The black-haired man said, turning.

Julius stood by an entry, in front of them with his head slightly tilted down before looking up and smiling.

"Julius!" They smiled.

"We're so glad...!"

"Are you injured?!"

"I'm sorry for worrying you all. But more importantly, I have something I'd like you to hear right away." Julius said.

-----

"You want us to reconsider that proposal?"

The group sat around a fire, conversing with one another.

"That one about offering up a part of the humans in order to forge peace with them?"

"However, I thought we decided against that before." The black-haired man said.

"But now I know for a fact that only one offer is needed. We have this method which, by doing so just once, we can never sever interactions with them for eternity." Julius said.

"Julius...?" The white-haired woman trailed off.

"This is certainly preferable to losing thousands or ten thousand soldiers and people onwards. I...I've had enough with sacrificing!" Julius told them with a horrified expression. "In one night...In just one night, we were all wiped out. If we just offer up a small amount, all this sacrifice will end right then and there."

"But Julius...!"

"If we can't do this, the mindless bloodshed will never end. We have to finish this...for the same on mankind. Not soon, not someday, but right here, right now! All of us!" Julius interrupted. "It certainly is a painful choice to make...but this is a constructive promise. It is a price we must pay. I beg of you everyone, please accept this plan." He bowed.

"But...What about all of the suffering that will happen to those we offer up? Will their offspring, generating after generation, follow after them? All for the sake of our peace, the pain and suffering they have to shoulder will just continue to swell with this one, singular decision. Is that not the case?" The white-haired woman said.

"She's right. As much as I like to be understanding, I don't agree with this plan. The generations to come are innocent and will have to suffer for our peace. I...I just can't accept it..." The brunette woman frowned, narrowing her eyes.

The others were silent, taking in what both women said.

"I've lost many soldiers too...my father and brother were eaten, all the others lost their families as well...countless numbers of my comrades have been eaten by them." The black-haired man said.

"But even so, you, and all of us here...haven't we been fighting all this time for the future that we want?" The tanned man said.

"Even through all the losses, and all they robbed of us...Haven't we come this far together, because we haven't given up?" The bearded man said.

"Stop- Stop it...! You're wrong!!!" Julius exclaimed, clutching his head. "Those pretty words and those illusions...I'm fed up with all of it! What's so wrong with casting away some strangers for the sake of my comrades? I'm doing the right thing here. I'm-"