⌛️Chapter 74⌛️

~1 Year and a Half Later~

Y/n groaned as he slowly sat up and stretched his arms, popping his joints.

"What do you want, Chief Taneda?" He questioned in a raspy voice.

Taneda sweat dropped as he observed how Y/n's eyes squinted and how his lips tilted down, giving him a look of annoyance, which, if he hadn't noticed on his face, was visible by how Y/n spoke to him.

"Good morning to you too, Y/n." Taneda gave him an awkward smile.

"I am here to inform you that I was able to erase your background from being found out by the public. Now that I have, you can reenter the normal world, although not too normal as you will be working at the Armed Detective Agency, which is by no means very normal, but it is the most normal life you'll be living from now on." The man informed Y/n.

"Hmm? Really?" Y/n hummed as he brushed his teeth, Taneda flinching since he hadn't noticed the boy get up and approach the sink behind him.

"Yes. You're free to leave when you'd like. I'd assist you with your meeting with the president, but I have work to do and I'm sure you'll be fine. I'll get going now." Taneda said as he turned to leave.

"Bye-bye." Y/n tiredly waved as the man returned it while he walked away, eventually disappearing in the distance.

"Wait..." Y/n muttered, grabbing an egg out of the mini fridge that sat against the wall by his makeshift bed.

"I don't know where the agency is at..." He realized.

Crack

Freezing, Y/n looked down and felt his soul leave upon seeing the egg that was formerly in his hands, on the ground, cracked open.

"NOOO! THAT WAS MY LAST ONE!" He exclaimed, staring at the ground in horror.

Safe to say, Y/n only ate poorly-made rice balls, an annoyed and dead expression plastered on his face with every bite he took.

-----

"Well, I gotta get going." Y/n hummed as he left the small area he had been living in for over a year, a foul stench entering his nostrils upon stepping into a dark and cold alleyway.

"Meh. Kinda got used to the smell." He shrugged, striding forward.

Eventually, he reached the end and climbed up a row of crumbling stairs, almost falling as a huge piece he stepped on broke off.

"How the heck did Chief Taneda come through here every other week...? I already don't want to go back." Y/n muttered.

Y/n paused as he saw a rope that was slightly hovering over the floor.

"Hmm..." He stared at it.

Slowly bringing his leg, he stepped over before turning and crouching, staring intently at the rope. His eyes followed one end of the rope and he spotted rows of knives hiding in the shadows of the growing vines that clumped over one side of a building.

"This feels familiar..." He muttered, the image of Mori appearing in his mind.

Looking back at the rope, he brought his hand up and pressed it down, quickly jumping back and watching as the rows of knives narrowly missed him, but managed to get a cut on the end of a hair strand.

"Wow. That could have killed someone." A blank smile rested on Y/n's face.

"Not me though. I don't want to die painfully and...I want to at least see how it is to live as society's view of a "good" person. Odasaku would scold me if I died too early, but I'm probably not going to see him anyways, even after death." Y/n hummed as he continued walking up the stairs.