🎯Chapter 21🎯

"Could you go ahead and explain it to us then...dear demon?" Ray said as he grabbed the confused Emma's wrists.

-----

"Those are demons' feet, right?" Ray asked, motioning down with his hand.

Emma lowered her vision and gasped in surprise at the truth. Instead of shoes or feet you would see on a human, Mujika had sharp claws and an unusual color of skin that didn't match a human's, but a demon's.

'I didn't even notice it...Then again, she feels so human...And her size and shape too...' Emma thought.

She then remembered the girl's words from before.

"Please relax and rest here for the night."

'For the night...So it's already dark? Just how long was I asleep...?'

"Our friends?"

"Right over here. We've just finished setting up dinner."

'Wait a second. Why? Because...They want to eat us? No way...Their 'dinner' they 'set up' can't be-'

Emma's expression morphed to panic as she felt her blood run cold, her body freezing in place.

"Well? Why did you go to all this trouble for mere cattle like us?" Ray asked once more.

Y/n remained quiet. His eyes glanced at Ray before shifting to Mujika, a slight twinkle appearing in his eyes.

"Hey, Mujika. You've gone too far. You always take the wrong approach." A voice approached the group.

"That's why you came to help? But your timing's pretty bad, you know!" The girl, now known as Mujika said with a slightly awkward expression.

The children turned their heads and met face-to-face with the taller demon who leaned to get a better look at them. Not only that, he held a long spear, the blade slightly shining at a certain angle.

"What's the matter with them? These two look awful..." The demon said as he looked at Emma and Ray.

The two only stared at him with slight horror, their bodies super stiff as they trembled in fear. Then, the demon shifted their view from them to Y/n, quickly deducing that the boy was not afraid. He just stood there, a blank expression plastered on his face.

"Why...did you help..." Ray stammered.

Mujika huffed and said, "They're like that because you're hovering over them with that thing, Sonju. The poor things are terrified!"

"Nonsense. What about the little ones over there? Though, sure, I do recommend taking care not to touch it!" Sonju said, referring to his spear as he made sure to keep the blade pointed down.

"Why...are...you demons...hel-"

Emma felt a bubbling anger witching her and she shouted, "Where are the children?!"

Sonju didn't say anything, simply staring at her. Letting out an exhale, Emma ran past him with Ray calling out to her, slightly taken aback by her outburst. Y/n too was surprised.

'Hm. Never thought that I'd see Emma with that expression.' Y/n mused.

"Heh, heh, heh...My bad, kid. About your question, then...Why would we demons save you, eh?" Sonju chuckled, looking at the two remaining kids.

"'Demons'...How nostalgic. Yes, we used to be called that..." He hummed.

-----

Emma continued to run through the cave, mindlessly turning corners. Her heart beat licked up and she felt her breathing grow erratic as her kind seemed to swarm with worry and anticipation.