🩸Chapter 64🩸

Many demons loomed over the two kneeling demons, pushing spears to their necks.

"Sonju. Mujika. We're arresting you for attempting to overthrow the government."

In the town, people started jumping and screaming in joy.

"We've captured the bandits!"

"We're not done. Find the contaminated."

"Don't let the evil-blooded get away!"

"Hey, you there." A demon said, walking into the alley to see two soldiers and two kids.

"Who are those kids? You both oversaw the central square, correct? Could those kids be evil-blooded?" He asked.

"No, these children are simply lost. They are unrelated to the evil-blooded." One of them cooly lied.

"We were there and can confirm that fact." The other added.

"I see. Orders are to segregate those with contaminated blood. Make sure you don't let anyone get away." The demon told them.

"Yes sir!" The two saluted, watching as he left.

Once he was out of sight, the two turned to each other.

"Yeah, they can't be here."

"But, what can we do?"

'Contaminated blood...'

"Were we lied to this whole time?"

'The evil-blooded clan. They were rebels who used their toxic and disease-inducing blood to revolt against the royal family. That's what we were told this whole time. But in reality...'

"If you drink this blood..."

"Don't worry. Drinking this will return everyone to normal and will never degenerate again."

'That blood was able to restore those who had degenerated. No, even more than that... According to witnesses, they offered their blood to citizens who hadn't degenerated to prevent them from doing so. Does that mean the evil blood is a remedy for degeneration? All you have to do is drink it?!'

"So, it's extraordinary blood. Then, why were we lied to? For 200 years...and they're still being pursued?"

"Because they're in the way? The evil blood gets in the way of the farms' desire to rule over us. If we didn't have to eat humans to prevent degeneration, the farms wouldn't have so much power." His partner guessed.

"Hold it. Then the Queen and aristocrats...used the farms to control us as they saw fit?"

'Even now, the higher-ups know and yet act this way? Just for the sake of their greed, everyone was captured and will get...'

They felt a tug at their cloaks and looked down to see both children crying.

"Sir? What's going to happen to mom and dad?" One of the girls whimpered.

"And the big brother and sister who helped up? Are they going to be killed?" The other hiccuped.

"Why? For what? How cruel. It's wrong. They didn't do anything. They saved us. After everything, everyone was cured, but...no...dad...mom..."

"Please help us, mister soldiers...!"

"Please- Please help our parents and everyone else...!"

The two burst out crying, not able to hold back their wails. The soldiers tightened their grips on their spears as they stared.

"What are your names?" One asked.

"Awla."

"Mawla."