Chapter 19- Lucio

"Don't hang around that man, you hear me?" Azrael's father, Matias told me

"Don't hang around that man, you hear me?" Azrael's father, Matias told me. He had stormed outside and yanked me right into Maria's bodega.

"¿Por qué?" I peer up at him, he looked absolutely livid and for the first time I felt scared. Matias was never mad at me. What did I do?

"Listen closely, niño." He cradles my face gently, "The only time you speak to him is when you're in danger and I'm not around, only when I'm not around, okay? He'll protect you but other than that, you stay away from him." He tells me carefully.

"Who is he? How come you and Azrael speak to him?" I ask, confused.

His face twists, "He's my brother." He sighs, "I love him and he's a good person but he lives in a dangerous world, one you have no business being in." He tells me seriously, gripping my face tightly when I try to look over his shoulder at his brother who was already looking at us, "Hey, look at me." He searches my eyes as if he was trying to look for something, "She isn't supposed to but Azrael speaks to him because she's my daughter which means she can't be touched but you are not my kid and as much as I wish you were, you aren't so you need to be careful." He whispers, eyeing the men around his brother.

"What does that mean?" I whisper shakily.

"Lo siento, I'm not trying to scare you but please listen to me." He swallows thickly, "Stay away from him unless you are in danger. Promise me."

When I'm quiet he goes rigid, "Lucio, promise me or so help me god I will kick your ass." He demands.

I sigh, "I promise."

He relaxes before pulling me into a tight embrace, "Good, good niño." He whispers, kissing the crown of my head, "Go help Maria in the back, okay? I'll be right back and then we'll go home." He stands up, nudging me towards Maria's husband before walking out the store with such ferocity in his steps.

I watch the the glass door as Matias face goes dark before grabbing the collar of his brother's jacket, "¿Qué diablos te dije?" He growls without realizing the scene he's causing, "I told you to stay away from my kid, mano. I told you to stop coming back here, go back to Soacha!" He yells, shoving him harshly.

"She's my fucking niece." His brother spits, "Why are you trying to keep her away from me?" He sneers, obviously hurt by his brothers rejection. I watch in fear as the men around him take a threatening step forward.

Matias notices and his lips curl up in disgust, "You touch me, I'll kill all of you even if it means dying beside you. Don't fuck with me." He threatens and my heart stutters with fear, I've never heard Matias swear so much. He sounded so angry.