Chapter 24- Lucio

Matias knows exactly what happened those 4 years you were gone and so do I, so start fessing up before it gets ugly

-Santiago
Sent - 11:20 a.m.

My heart races as I stare down at the message. I knew he wasn't threatening me. This was a heads up for what would happen if I didn't finish telling Azrael the whole story or at least warn her before things started getting out of hand but would she understand? Would she look at me the same? Would she think I was a horrible person? What would happen?

I knew the moment her father came back, it wouldn't be a secret anymore. It didn't matter how much he cared about me, his kids always came first. What I didn't understand was how he knew?

I lift my head up to stare at Azrael whose currently helping Rico plan out his birthday party. My throat tightens at the large smile on her face. She was a little off last night and morning but she looked so happy now. Fuck. She was going to hate me. I felt my leg start to shake with the possibility of her disgust. Why? Why? Why? Why did it have to be me? Why couldn't we just grow up and have normal lives? Why me?

Tonight. I promised myself. I'd tell her tonight but right now I'd let her enjoy the rest of her day without worrying. We bad been acting like everything was okay, ignoring the fact that alot has happened somce the last time we saw each other and tonight had to be the night I told her.

Her voice snaps me out of my thoughts, "I'm heading out." She tells her little brother, my brows furrowing in confusion. Heading out? Heading out where? She hadn't told me anything about her going anywhere, she's barely even spoken to me since seeing her uncle.

Rico's frown is immediate as he stares at her, uncertainty washes over his features making him look alot older than he actually was. "Where are you going?" He asks, "Are you okay?" He ponders a bit more quietly.

His reaction has my body standing up in alert. Why was he asking her that? Did she usually leave when she wasn't doing okay? Where was she going? Why did he look so worried?

Her smile is weak and her eyes are empty, hiding whatever she's currently feeling. A bad feeling arises at the pit of my stomach at her response, "No where specific, I just have a couple of places I need to stop by. I'll be fine." She reassures, "I won't be long." She promises, kissing his cheek playfully.

"I'll go with you." I rush to speak but she shakes her head.

"No." She says sharply, "I just want to be alone." She says, her voice a bit softer now.

"Azrael..." I hesitate, "What's going on? Talk to me." I plead, "I know yesterday was hard but I'm here. Just talk to me, baby."