Chapter 8

Chapter 8: Revelation

Asner was in his bed. Sitting and hugging his knees tightly. His room was dimly lightened by the glow of the lamp laying on the drawer on his bedside. Asner was breathing harshly. His body would occasionally shake or experience tremors. Asner weakly raises his head and looks at the windows. It was shut tightly and has the curtains closed.

His eyes frantically darted on them. As if he was afraid that something or someone was observing him outside. Or maybe they also have his house installed with secret cameras?

Asner whimpered at that thought.

{ The host mental state is fluctuating }

{ The host is experiencing a severe emotional upheaval }

{ The system has confirmed that the host is currently in an unhealthy mental state }

{ Do the host want the system to override his body? }

The system's voice resounded on his mind. Asner listened to them. After a few moments of contemplation and hesitation, Asner shook his head.

{ ..No.. }

It was as people said that the knowledge and truth are horrifying. Asner never thought that it would be true in his case. He was on the precipice. Looking at the abyss and was aware that it was deep bottomless darkness.

Asner would never think that the knowledge of truth is a burden. But here he is in his room looking pathetic and trying to make sense of his situation.

Asner learned the truth. And he was having a hard time accepting his current situation.

{ System... are there any hidden spying things that were placed in my bedroom or our house? }

{ Confirming.... }

{ Negative }

{ Host there is no device or camera bugs or surveillance devices in your house. There is only a person outside who was observing Mister Ansell. He was currently one of the many people of interest in the foundation. }

At the last word, Asner can't help himself from flinching. He was relieved for himself but worried for his father at the same time.

Foundation... Yes, that was the word. He never realizes it now. But he was so wholly ignorant of the things that were happening around this world. He was just content to live his life normally after the memories of his past life and the system.

That must be why the system decided to orchestrate this thing, missions, and let him discover the truth. He was being manipulated like a puppet from the start.

{ Host I am not capable of manipulating people and planning all those things and deciding your fate. }

{ Damn you! }

Asner clenched his hands on his blanket. Other than feeling terrified for his life, his father, and his future, he was also very very angry. Angry at the system, hated this world... And also blamed himself for his ignorance.

Why did just the system doesn't tell him the truth the moment that he arrived? Heh, the system even bothered to give him normal missions. Instead of him just straight diving into those special missions and that so-called hidden missions.

Asner couldn't help but remember what happened in his grandparent's manor. He walks in not clueless. He was prepared. Donning his mask and the Invisible Cloak. He also has already his Soundless Ability activated on himself.

Since his father lost some of his memories, Asner was worried about that some secret organization that was responsible for it. Asner has also stopped thinking that this is just an ordinary world as he was led to believe from his childhood and even after regaining the memories of his past life.

Asner held firmly in the belief in normality. Because he doesn't want to become different. But the moment that he discovered those people observing the manor discreetly. Looking like some innocent passerby, Asner was nearly fooled.

But as he decided to open one of the features of the systems– the map, he discovered how those people hasn't left within the perimeters of the manor. They were still there observing in the distance. Instinct, guts, and paranoia, Asner decided to follow one of them. He was then led to some other innocent passerby taking a break from discreetly walking around the manor.

Some casual conversations at first, but then it followed by strange conversations that Asner didn't understand until one of them started talking about SCPs and the foundation. At first, Asner thought that they are just joking. Then one of those people expresses their fears, distaste, and opinion on why do they even need to contain those SCPs. Why just not destroy them?

After that, it was that moment that the system decided to inform him that he completed some kind of hidden mission.

It was like that something in his head has cracked. Asner can switch to off unconsciously. Those people heard the sound of something clattering.

" Who's there? "

" Show yourself! "

" Don't worry we wouldn't hurt you, anonymous caller, we would just like you to ask something to you in the foundation. "

Asner was overwhelmed. Despite the burden of learning the truth, the mention of being questioned and asked in the foundation triggered his flight response. He started running towards the manor and then teleported himself back into their city.

Later, he returned to their house and looked like he was just out of school. If someone decided to question someone on him going to school on a weekend, his and his father's acquaintances would just consider it as nothing unusual.

He has pulled several odd but normal things. Walking the dogs and playing with the cats of their neighbors, playing with the kids, going to the library and visiting his teacher's house, and asking some questions about the subject that was beyond his grade— all of those things are considered normal and nothing unusual.

Asner is just a normal kid determined to fulfill his dreams and be successful someday. But he realizes how foolish he has been. In this world, it would be hard to remain in the norm.

Asner isn't normal. Even without the system. He has his head stuffed with the memories of his past life. Without the system, maybe they would soon discover his unusualness. Maybe, his father would give up and leave him. Then he would end up locked in their prison. Contained in their prison.

Asner was afraid. He fears the foundation, the other secret organizations, and the very dangerous SCPs of this world.

But, he wouldn't let his fear overtake him. He wouldn't end up standing looking at the foundation in fear and imprisoning him. No, he would decide what would happen to himself. His condition and choices are his and his alone.

He wouldn't let the system use him. Asner would use the system.

[ Trial Card Mission (In Use)

Period Duration: 6 Months

Time Remaining: 2 weeks left

• Host daily missions are only filled with normal missions

• The probability of host meeting dangerous unusual incidents, creatures, and beings are lowered by 99.8%

• Mission of the Unusualness is locked.      ]