Chapter 11

Chapter 11: Johann

      Asner was his neighbor and a friend. His odd and little friend. He was the only child of the ever-popular Mister Ansell.

Mister Ansell was known in their city because he was probably one of the best students to graduate from a prominent university in his generation. He was also known because he was a Professor in the said university himself. And most of all, he was just a 29-year-old widower. He has a stable job, good income, reputation and he was fairly handsome.

It's no wonder that he was popular with the ladies. Johann was used to the scene of Mister Ansell leaving and being greeted by ladies and mothers every morning. Mister Ansell would always greet them with respect and decline their 'invitations' politely. Johann would shamefully admit that his widowed mother is one of them.

Today, wasn't much different. It was the last week of June and the agonizing routine was the same way as ever. Johann watched the scene as Mister Ansell was greeted by their neighbors with boredom. Beside him, Asner was putting a neutral expression on his face again. Yet, Johann knows that he was just masking the displeased expression on his face.

Johann as the neighbor of the Graves family was mostly aware of the events that happened in the Father and Son. He was in his primary grade when Mister Ansell was struggling with raising his son as a single father. He was also aware how on how did Mister Ansell neglected his son before because he was 'busy with his job as a professor of their university. But recently, he knows that Mister Ansell was working hard and making effort for his son.

Johann wondered when would their neighbors and his mother get a clue and stop trying on making attempts. They should be aware that Mister Ansell was dedicated to his son and his job. Except for his mother. But Johann has a suspicion that most of them were doing this every day since they got used to it and maybe, they just enjoyed teasing the poor Mister Ansell.

Poor Guy.

Mister Ansell was usually a calm and polite man. But when he make expressions on his face, it was too different from that serious and respectable impression that everyone got on him. They were doing it for shit and giggles. And feeding on their sadistic desires. Johann instantly stopped his thoughts when he notice his astray thoughts going on that way. Fuck man, he doesn't need to think of his neighborhood aunties and mother's kinks!

Just thinking of it was giving him shivers and making him feel nauseated.

Johann decided to ignore the scene and proceeded to walk his way to the bus stop. Unexpectedly, Johann notices Mister Ansell and Asner after a few minutes of his arrival at the bus stop. He look at them with a surprised expression on his face that he couldn't mask.

" Good morning, Brother Johann. "

What are they doing here? Isn't Mister Ansell supposed to drive his car and escort Asner to his school? What happened?

" The Car broke. "

Mister Ansell said as Johann stared at them. Johann knows that Mister Ansell wasn't reading his mind. He was certain that Mister Ansell could tell it by the expression of his face right now.

Mister Ansell then continued on his one-sided way of conversation.

" I didn't have time to look for a mechanic. "

Johann watched as Mister Ansell started looking at his wristwatch and started stroking it. He still remembered that Asner once told him that it was a gift from his mother to his father. Johann has seen Mister Ansell doing the gesture quite frequently. If he would guess, he would do that habit if he was feeling uneasy, comforting himself and seeking reassurance and security on the wristwatch.

Johann decided to avert his gaze and sighed. There was no zero chance in hell that those aunties and his mother would get a chance on Mister Ansell's pants. Until now, the man was still clinging to his dead wife.

Later, the bus arrived. Mister Ansell helped his son enter the school bus. Asner was sitting on his father's lap while Johann was beside them.

Johann chuckled as he saw the expression on Asner's face. A mischievous expression was on his face. It's been a week since Asner and he didn't talk or even greet each other. He decided to satisfy his mischievous side when the boy was glaring at him.

" Awww, did the little boy feel embarrassed sitting on his father's lap? Is the little boy a big boy now? I still remember how little Asner used to cling to his father's leg and cry like a baby. "

" I'm not. "

Asner frowned at him while Mister Ansell was trying an innocent expression on his face despite his eyes saying that he was amused by the current situation.

A few bus stops later, Asner then bid his goodbye while looking annoyed.

" See you later, Brother Johann. "

Mister Ansell guided his son to leave the seat and stand but not before leaving some few words.

" Please don't tease Asner, Johann. "

Mister Ansell sounded pleasant and polite. But his stare was telling a different story. Johann nodded his head quickly.

" I heard from your mother that you have an exam today. Good luck. "

Johann watched them leave the bus. He sighed when they left. Johann watched as people come and go on the bus with boredom. Later, he saw the nearest bus stop that was nearest towards the school. He left the bus. On his way towards his school, Johann met his best friend.

" Good morning Johann, are you ready for the test today. "

Johann huffed as he saw the fake excitement on his best friend's face.

" Of course not. Who would be so enthusiastic about tests? "

" Uhh... Our class president? And don't also forget our class infamous nerd and bookworm? "

Johann tugged his lips up when he heard that. His best friend Nathan was making fun of himself since he was their class infamous nerd and bookworm. A person who was enthusiastic about occult subjects and the missing pieces of information in the world's history.

The two best friends bantered back and forth on their way to their classroom while ignoring the gazes that sometimes linger and pass on them. It was a light and cheerful atmosphere when they are talking on their way to their classroom. But then it later disappeared when they heard their teacher announce that one of their classmates was missing.

It's already been 24 hours and his parents didn't find her. The police are already looking for her. According to the parents, she was talking to them on her cellphone and informed them that she was waiting at the bus stop and promised them that she would go home and apologize that she would be late for some reason.