Chapter 35

Chapter 35: Dr. Edison is a pig teammate

         " Why did you save those people? If you haven't saved them using your abilities... "

Maybe, you and your father would be still living peacefully outside.

  Asner remembered how the last interview session with Dr. MacWarren went. After the basic courtesy and questions for the past interview sessions, Dr. MacWarren started asking him questions regarding his abilities. He remembered one of the questions and guessed the following follow-up.

" Why wouldn't I save them? "

He remembers his reply to the doctor.

" Lives are important. And those people have family or acquaintances that cares and worries for them. "

Death happens every day. But in this world, it was just more prominent and unnatural. But despite saving those people, Asner knows he hasn't saved those people with pure intentions on his mind. It just happened to be one of the emissions generated by the System. It wasn't also difficult compared to the other missions. There just happened points that would he earn. Saving those people just happened to be an additional bonus.

The interview session then ended after that last question. Asner was currently with his father in one of the cafeterias in Site-17. Ms. Melissa Stove who was one of the employees in the accounting department and became one of their acquaintances here in the foundation was with them. She would accompany them sometimes to the cafeteria to eat with him and his father.

But what was has been unexpected was the presence of Dr. Edison. He was sitting with them at their table. Giving his relaxed and carefree smile under the glare of Asner's father. These strange circumstances have been happening for nearly a week.

" Good day, Miss Melissa. You don't have any meat on your Lunch today? "

Dr. Edison peered at the food and sounded genuinely concerned about her meal.

" Oh, I'm on the diet.. "

" Is that so?.. Well, I hope that you would be successful in your goal Miss Melissa. I heard that it was hard to endure. Most of the people who wanted to lose some of their weight ended up giving into temptation.. "

Miss Melissa wince at those words. She wryly smiled while she played with her fork on her plate. Dr. Edison started to cheer her up. The two of them— Miss Melissa and Dr. Edison seem to be getting along nicely. They started talking about simple gossips and various topics. Despite the easygoing and nice atmosphere going between the two, his father who was by at his side sitting didn't let down his guard. He has still the expression of an ice sculpture. He was giving off the vibes of someone hard to approach and initiate a conversation. In the accounting department, there are only a few who can be counted on the hand whom his father can talk or initiate a conversation. On that list, Miss Melissa Stove was included.

Asner can understand his father's wariness. Dr. MacWarren is someone who hasn't done anything that crosses his boundaries. But despite that, Asner didn't give any of his trust towards the man. The man was pleasant and nice towards him. Still, he was Asner's Researcher. Asner doesn't know if the kindness that was shown towards him was just a method to let him lower his guard. Other than that, Asner can't have himself become attached to the researcher in charge of him. Anomalous People who have shown attachment towards the researchers always ended up with the latter being dismissed in their duties.

Asner doesn't have much interaction with Dr. Edison since he and Dr. Aeish was in charge of the monitoring room during his interviews with Dr. MacWarren. His father was the one who have the most interaction with them. But his behavior of his father regarding the researchers wasn't what Asner could truly call a judgment considering his father was giving a cold shoulder to everyone with only a few exceptions. Most of that frosty look was directed towards the researchers of the foundation and the soldiers. But even though some people aren't in those categories, if someone decided to give him just a disdainful look, then his father wouldn't treat those people kindly.

While Miss Melissa and Dr. Edison are interacting, Asner decided to summon the mysterious phone. He doesn't know anything about Dr. Edison. But he can always find something interesting about the foundation Researcher. It didn't escape Asner's notice that he glanced at him the moment that he summoned the mysterious cellphone before going back on eating his food while also talking with Dr. Melissa.

Browsing, he found out that Dr. Edison was the one and only member of the so-called Metafiction Department. Tales that were centered about the doctor were centered on a joke and humor genre. His punishment ended up getting sent to Arctic Region. Dr. Edison likes movies and various entertainment culture references. And lastly, it can be deduced that he has a fine appreciation of Anime. He was a man of culture. That was what conclusion Asner has managed by observing his profile. Asner then decided to look more further into Dr. Edison. He was disturbed by what he found. Dr. Edison here and Dr. Edison that he has found in the information have current differing behaviors. Maybe, it was due to Dr. Edison not forgetting to take his medicine today and the last few days. If he wasn't on his meds, Dr. Edison in front of them would already be running wild with his active imagination and reenacting his life like an action movie. After he finish looking at the profile, Asner glance at the opposite table and found that Miss Melissa and Dr. Edison were glancing at him and the mysterious cellphone with interest. Through, it was more the former than the latter. But, Asner knows that he couldn't fault Miss Melissa for that.

" Asner, do you think that you could play the last song that you played last Monday? "

Asner got her inducted into becoming an avid fan of Japanese Songs. It was a fault that Miss Melissa was hanging with them lately. Clicking the YouTube app, he then decided to introduce Miss Melissa to a better song.

" Miss Melissa how about a new song? "

" Why not? I hope that you are telling me the truth that it was better than the last one. "

" If it wasn't up to your satisfaction and taste, we could always change it. "

Asner clicked the video then started playing. They listened to music while they were in the cafeteria. The music was mostly drowned out in the distance but they can hear it on their table. Asner didn't put out in the max volume but a volume that was just appropriate and wouldn't disturb anyone who doesn't want to listen to the music.

Later, Miss Melissa and Dr. Edison started saying their goodbyes to them. But before that, Dr. Edison decided to tell him something.

" Well, that was good music. Thank you. "

" You're welcome. "

Asner can feel himself smiling slightly yet it also disappeared when the Doctor revealed some information.

" Ah, right.. Please, prepare for the next week. I gathered that Dr. Kondraki would be returning from his trip... This may affect your daily interviews as he may gain interest in having you interact with the other SCPs. Once, Dr. Kondraki knows about information that was deliberately hidden to him by the O-5, there was a chance that he would decide to pull something.. unpleasant. "

Dr. Edison's face twisted into a grimace before he smiled at him.

" Don't worry though, Dr. Gears was helping in covering you up from those researchers that the O5 didn't want to learn about you. He was always been efficient in his job. He has managed to stop Dr. Iceberg from disturbing Dr. MacWarren. There's no way that he would mess up on his job. He was always been an efficient man. He was someone who the O5 rely frequently on. "

He paused then says.

"Through despite being a jerk or an ass sometimes, I think that Dr. Kondraki wouldn't do anything to harm you.  Anyway, can I come to eat again with you next time? "

Asner didn't bother to answer the Doctor and just bid a farewell to him. Dr. Edison would return to Site-19. As he and his father decided to walk to the accounting department of Site-17, Asner felt confused whether Dr. Edison was encouraging him or demoralizing him with the information that he was told.

When they are already at the accounting department, It registered on Asner that Dr. Edison has unknowingly jinxed him.