Chapter 27 : The Bracket of Eight

"So you're telling me, that none of you bothered to even check up our name on the scoreboard?"

"Can you really blame us, why didn't you do it if you were aware of it all along?" Jean snapped back.

"What was that horsey? Sorry, but I don't speak horse language." Eren replied with a snide tone.

"Watch it asshole!" Jean took a step forward.

Eren also walked closer to Jean. "That's rich coming from the neighing animal!"

Armin took the initiative and stood between the two boys, tired of them always fighting at every given chance.

"Will you two please stop this? This is not the time nor the place to fight or play around. We literally just found out we're in the bracket of eight and the only thing you two can think of is exchanging fists!"

Their fellow students on campus gave them odd looks as they passed by them. It's not everyday you see two handsome guys duking it out with each other, especially in the middle of campus grounds, at least that was the case till Eren and Jean first met in the college. Now, it was almost an everyday occurrence, as the two almost always crossed paths with each other, at least once, during the day, mostly during lectures.

"You guys are energetic as ever." Finn walked in with Connie and Reiner into the scene.

"Hey did you hear, we've entered the bracket of eight!" Connie said excitedly.

"Yeah, for almost two weeks now!" Eren replied.

There was a faint silence among the three incomers.

"For real?" Connie, Finn and Reiner asked in unison.

"For real." Eren and Jean shot back.

Almost instantly, the two began fighting again.

"Don't copy me, you beast of burden!" Eren growled as he held Jean by the collar.

"Right back at you, you headstrong brick!" Jean retaliated, holding Eren by the collar as well.

Reiner shook his head wearily, totally disappointed in the two of them, who were supposed to be 'young adults'. Connie and Armin simply sighed and Finn just stared in amusement at their childish scuffling.

Armin took his phone from his pocket and switched it on. Punching in a few numbers, the phone began to ring. The person on the other line picked up the call almost immediately.

"Hey what's up?"

"Sorry for bothering you, Mikasa, but they're at it again." Armin said.

"Give Eren the phone."

Armin tapped Eren's shoulder and passed the phone to him. The rest of the team watched Eren mumble some sort of apology into the device, and his skin turning pale.

"Yes ma'am, I'm sorry." Eren said and cut the call.

Oh God, this man's whipped! Was the only thought they could utter seeing his behavior.

"What, not gonna fight anymore?" Jean taunted Eren, trying to provoke him.

"Nope." Eren replied instantly.

"You seriously don't wanna go at it?"

"Nope."

Jean rose an eyebrow at him. "Man, you really are whipped aren't you?"

"Nope." Eren said again, then walked away from them all.

The shock on the faces of the team, minus Armin, was something to behold.