Chapter 29 : Inspiration

"And this makes seven!"

Finn shot another two-pointer into the basket - this time, with both hands, like a normal basketball player.

"That's it!!" Isabel shouted with a loud voice. "Timeout! Finn get back to the benches right now! Reiner, take his place!"

Finn looked at her with an incredulous expression. "What the hell are you saying, Isabel? I just scored a freaking two-points!"

"That's Miss Magnolia to you, you pompous brat! Now get your sorry ass over here."

Both Eld and Farlan sighed in hopelessness. Finn walked over to the benches, not to sit it out, but to express his disagreement over her decision.

"Hanji, you're not gonna condone this shit, are you?" He asked.

Hanji began to stammer as she was put on the spot.

"I-I m-mean..."

"Calm down, Finn." Reiner put a hand on his shoulder. "She's the coach, she calls the shots, so just relax."

"Back off, you two-faced piece of stone!"

Both teams uttered a series of 'ooohs' and 'damns', including Farlan and Gunther who were on the opposing side.

Surprised at his outburst, Reiner quickly retracted his hand.

"Are you trying to start a fight with me, Ryder?" Isabel asked, going towards him.

"Please, like your frail ass could ever handle a man." Finn replied, widening his teeth in a dangerous smirk.

"You little bra-"

"Alright! That's enough! The both of you. Ryder, get your sorry ass back to the bench and Isabel, don't utter any unnecessary calls." Levi addressed them from his seat, already pissed at their childish squabbling.

Still annoyed, Finn took a towel and sat down on the bench. After using the towel to wipe his sweat, he covered his head with it and buried his face in his arms, remaining silent without an utterance of apology or acknowledgement to anyone by his side.

Isabel thought she might have gone a bit too far, but it was still annoying! She understood perfectly how Shadis must have felt when Levi dominated the court in his early days. There was no opportunity for the rest of the team to shine or to give their best. It created overdependence on the star player and others won't try to give everything they've got. It also led to loopholes in both defense and offense. Even though the way she went about it was wrong, it was ultimately still the right decision at the end of the day.

"Time-in!"

Reiner passed the ball to Eren from outside and the game continued.

Catching the ball in both hands, Eren came head-on into Moblit who was guarding him. He bounced the ball and moved forward with one arm stretched out, giving some distance between himself and Moblit. He passed sideways to Bertholdt who jumped and shot a three into the net.

The score was 29 - 32 with the trainees in the lead.

That Hoover is dangerous. Eld thought. "Gunther!"

"Yeah, I know!" Came the reply.

Eld ran forward with the ball and came face to face with Reiner.

Erwin rose an eyebrow in high expectation of this fitting matchup.

Eld passed the ball behind him and at the same time, tried to maneuver around Reiner, but he was stopped. Spreading out his arms, revealing a broad wingspan, Reiner gave him no openings. Combined with his height and build, he was like an impenetrable wall.