Chapter 19 : Doubt

"Quit spacing out Kirstein and focus!"

"I get it, I get it, quit your nagging!"

"Say that to my face horsey"

"Who the hell are you calling horsey?!"

"That's enough both of you", Levi shut them up with a swift kick to the stomach each.

"This place is as lively as usual", Erwin said walking in on them.

"But he started it!", Jean and Eren pointed at each other.

"Quit behaving like kids the both of you", Reiner spoke up.

"Every single time", Connie said with an exasperated look on his face.

"Er um, could you guys be quiet just for a moment. I think Coach has something to say", Armin said calmly.

At this, the tension came down. Hanji was relieved and silently thanked her maker for restraining Levi's anger.

"Thank you Armin", Erwin told him, "and Levi, double Jaeger and Kirstein's workload"

"With pleasure", Levi replied.

Sadness and disappointment was clearly written on Eren and Jean's faces.

"Anyway, to the matter at hand. I hope you all know that this Friday you'll be going up against another school and in regards to that, I have met with the other team and I have to say, it's not going to be easy".

Silence was the response.

"Kirstein, your speciality plays a vital part in achieving victory because the ace of the other team is very similar to you."

Jean could only nod his head.

"Hanji play the video", Erwin instructed.

"Coming right up"

A video was played on the screen and everyone's attention was focused on it.

"I want you to watch very closely at what is about to happen."

On the screen, a match was going on and a boy with grayish colored hair and dark eyes was in possession of the basketball. He dribbled past the other players but lost control of the ball. The person who tackled him made his way to the basket and was about to score before the boy with the gray hair collected the ball back with the exact same move as the one who previously tackled him.

"So he can imitate. Anything else?", Jean said.

"Just watch closely", Erwin replied.

The situation was the same again as the gray haired boy was marked by the same person as before. It was sudden but noticeable. The opposing player as he tried to tackle lost his footing and slipped up giving the gray haired boy the chance to run past him and dunk the ball.

Erwin looked up at the trainees and spoke again, "Notice the play of the one who slipped up".

They did so and to their surprise he kept on making mistakes even when facing opponents that weren't as strong as he was.

"What's going on? What happened to him?", Marco asked.

"It's confusing but something definitely happened", Thomas spoke.

"That's right something happened. Hanji you can pause it now."

She stopped the video. Everyone stood up waiting to hear what Erwin had to say.

"As you saw just now, all that happened after he encountered Ikemoto, the young man with gray hair. I have analyzed and done my inquiries about him with Coach Mike and what he can do is quite fearsome indeed. He-"

"steals the rhythm of a person by coping his movements and making a slight change in the pattern rendering the person useless for a moment till he can adapt to a new style. That is Ikemoto Matsuda."

No one said a word towards Jean's statement. They all reflected on it and tried to fully comprehend what he just said.
Erwin broke the ice, "I see you are already acquainted with Ikemoto, Jean"

"We both are in fact", Marco spoke up, "W-we went to the same high school played against him a couple of times"

"And did you win?", Connie asked.

Jean clenched his fists and lowered his head avoiding everyone's gaze.

"Jean, did you win?", Eren asked again.

"No, I didn't", he responded, "In truth, I was actually put on the team as his replacement."

"Replacement?"

"Yes, Replacement"

"Sorry to interrupt your little flashback there but we could honestly care less if you weren't able to beat him", Finn looked at Jean.

"I agree with the brat", Levi spoke up, " you have an obligation to fill as a member of this team and I don't give two shits about your former losses. We precisely train you to be your best and if you can't even give us that at the very least then we'll kick you out. We have no time for bull crap so listen and listen good; you're going to go out there and beat that gray haired bastard or forget about being on the team. We don't need weaklings on the court.".

This was the longest that Levi had ever spoken to anyone on the team and even Reiner broke a sweat at this.
Jean simply looked upwards and closed his eyes. He took a couple of breaths and laughed. He laughed and laughed.

"Um I think you broke him", Eren said to Levi.

"I'm not broken dumbass", Jean countered back, "I get your point Coach. Don't worry I won't disappoint. In fact I'm all pumped up", he said smiling.

"If you really are then let's get to work", Levi replies and walked away, "besides, you and Jaeger still have punishment to carry out".

"I guess all's well that ends well", Connie said.

"Shut it Springer"

"Now that we've gotten that out of the way, I want to also inform you that we'll be going on a trip next week.", Erwin said.

"A trip?"

"Yes a trip. We'll be seeing a game of our main rival school next Friday"

"Wait a sec. You don't mean"

"Yes I do. The State of Liberio college. Our number one rival and they will be participating in the tournament as well".

"Well I'll be damned. Those guys are monsters", Thomas exclaimed.

"Yeah. I heard every year the championship was won alternately. This year this school, the next the other and that's how it's been for years.", Marlowe said.

"And we're going to break that cycle. By winning two years in a row. With you we are going to make this year our second year of victory. I hope for your cooperation Reiner and Bertholdt"

"Yes Sir. We'll offer our full cooperation.", Reiner spoke boldly with Bertholdt nodding his head in agreement.

"Oh and heads up, Eren is Zeke Jaeger's younger brother", Erwin said finally before walking away.

"Whaaaat???!!!".

Thank you all for reading and being patient with me. Stay safe and a Happy New Year to you all. Bye 👋