Chapter 4 : The trial game

This is supposed to be a reorientation not a f**king drill. We're here to play basketball not to sign up for the military, Eren thought as their head coach Keith Shadis shouted over their heads.
"NOW YOU MAGGOTS", Shadis shouted to the trainees, "YOU ARE HERE TO PLAY BASKETBALL AND I EXPECT YOU TO GIVE YOUR HEART AND SOUL INTO IT!. NOW SALUTE!!!".
Eren couldn't have been more pissed at the obnoxious barking of the head coach. He glanced towards Armin and saw a bit of nervousness in him but it wasn't only him, other trainees were also shaking nervously as the head coach crushed everything they knew about basketball including their ideals and goals.
"YOU ARE THE 104th BASKETBALL TRAINEES AND WHATEVER YOU THOUGHT YOU KNEW ABOUT BASKETBALL SHOULD BE THROWN ASIDE BECAUSE YOU KNOW NOTHING!!!".
This statement made by Shadis had already crushed the mindset of most of the trainees. After Shadis had spoken, he walked around staring into the eyes of each of the trainees, assessing them and criticizing their looks, speeches and actions.
"WHAT IS YOUR NAME ROOKIE?"
"Marco Bodt, Sir"
"AM I TALKING TO A POLE, I ASKED YOU WHAT IS YOUR NAME ROOKIE?!!"
"MARCO BODT, SIR!"
"WHY ARE YOU HERE BODT?"
"TO PLAY BASKETBALL AND SERVE THE COLLEGE TEAM TO VICTORY!!"
"Let me tell you a secret Bodt", Shadis whispered as he leaned closer to Marco's ear, "the college doesn't want you", he whispered and left to interrogate the next person.

As he was doing that, a short black haired man with an undercut hairstyle and grayish-black eyes stood beside a tall man with blond hair and blue eyes,  thick eyebrows and his hair shaped neatly. They were watching the interrogation of the trainees and how Shadis bypassed some of them without questioning them.

"Tch, must he always do this every year", said the man with black hair.
"You know as much as I do that it's necessary for him to do this. He has to prove to the kids that here we only accept the best and what better way to do that than by destroying what they already know", replied the blond haired man.
"You sound like a military commander Erwin"
"As always Levi".

They were interrupted by Shadis grabbing the head of an almost bald boy and dangling him in the air.
"IS THIS OUR SALUTE SPRINGER?, IS YOUR HEART ON YOUR RIGHT SIDE FREAK?, CORRECT IT BEFORE I CHANGE MY MIND!!"
"Y-yes Sir", poor Connie replied as he was dangling in the air.
A snicker was heard and Shadis dropped Connie to go to the person who made such a sound.
"CAN YOU TELL ME HORSEY WHAT WAS SO FUNNY?!!", Shadis shouted to Jean who had a smug look on his face.
Eren could only feel sorry for the poor bastard.
"NOTHING SIR!!", Jean replied
"YOU MUST THINK YOU'RE SO FUNNY, COCKY BRAT", Shadis said and head butted Jean right between the eyes.
"WHO GAVE YOU THE PERMISSION TO SIT DOWN KIRSTEIN CAUSE IT SURE AS HELL WASN'T ME", Shadis said and walked away from Jean who was scrambling to his feet while massaging his head.

After the reorientation, the blond haired man, Erwin, came up to the front and announced "I'm Erwin Smith and I'm going to be your assistant head coach. Just as Keith Shadis has said you are here to play basketball and if I may add you are also here to win. This trial game is to select the best from the best, those who will represent us at the national and international levels and bring honor to the college. Standing beside me is Levi Ackerman who is one of the various coaches who will be involved in training you to bring out your maximum best. Need I remind you that even those who achieved scholarship in basketball will still be discarded if their performance isn't up to expectations. So without delay may I call forth Eren Jaeger, Armin Arlert, Finn Ryder, Jean Kirstein, Reiner Braun and Bertholt Hoover.".
The following stepped up and stood at the front with their right hand curled up in a fist against the left side of their chest and their left hand behind their back.
"These are the students who got a scholarship on the basis of their basketball performance but I tell you it will be more difficult for you to make the team than the others", Erwin said.
"Are we supposed to be scared, coach?", Finn said.
Oi Oi Oi What the hell is he doing?, does he want to be disqualified, Eren thought.
"Seems to me that we don't even have to do much. After all we're here because our performance was top notch. Isn't that right, Smith?", Finn said with that sinister smile on his face.
"Indeed you are right Mr Ryder but I was not the one who offered you the scholarship so as far as I'm concerned you're a normal, weak player and I have my own expectations from you. I expect you to give your best or else you'll be discarded", Erwin said, "and the same goes for all of you as well!!".
"You make it sound like we're objects", Finn spoke once again.
"It's time you kept your mouth shut brat", Levi spoke.
"Calm down Levi", Erwin said with an amused expression, "That will be all concerning your orientation. We will divide you into teams to evaluate you. A paper will be passed indicating your teammates and you will join up with them. Each team has a number and when we call the number you and your teammates are to come to the court to begin your match. You are dismissed!!".
Everyone scattered waiting for the papers to be passed around then suddenly a woman with dark reddish-brown hair tied up in a ponytail, wearing glasses or goggles to be exact with an energetic smile showed up behind a table with papers in her hands and announced "Hey everyone I'm Hange Zoe and I'm the head medic. Here are the papers so make a line and collect your papers orderly".
When everyone heard this they headed over to the table and began to pick a paper each.
Hmm I got a 3, Armin thought.
"Yo Armin, which number did you get", Eren shouted from across the court.
"A three"
"Me too"
"Oi don't forget us"
Eren and Armin turned towards the source of the voice and it came from Connie, who was walking towards them with Bertholt and Jean.
"So I'm guess we're all on the same team", Eren asked.
"Yeah yeah", waved Jean
"Bastard"
"Bastard"
"Ohh you want to play that copycat game. I'll kick your ass if you say one more word", Eren threatened
"I'll kick your ass blah blah blah", Jean mimicked, "bring it on!"
"That's enough guys. Shadis is back", Connie said which stopped their bickering at once.