Chapter 31 : The Mock Zone

"Pass the ball!"

Armin stopped right in front of Moblit and passed the ball towards Eren.

Something like a lightning bolt flashed across Moblit's eyes. He intercepted the ball before it could leave Armin's hand and threw it deep into the court.

Both Bertholdt and Oluo leapt for the ball, and though Bertholdt towered over Oluo a good 9 inches, Oluo was massively faster and grabbed the ball before Bertholdt, landed on his feet, and manoeuvred around Bertholdt.

"Like hell, I'll let you!"

Reiner followed up the instant he got past Bertholdt. He spread out his arms, in an attempt to get blocked Oluo.

"How amusing."

One, two, three, and he was gone. Just like that, Oluo drove past Reiner, leaving the burly young man stunned in utter amazement.

Oluo ran to the net, jumped, and with his left hand, dunked the ball powerfully into the net. The rim rattled at the burst of strength it was hit with, causing the trainees to finally understand that they were going to lose.

"Dammit! There's no way in hell we stand a chance!" Reiner shouted, frustration building up within him.

"Don't give in Reiner, just keep on playing on like before. If we can't beat them with strength, we can beat them with strategy. I'll do my best to come up with a plan, please, all of you, find a way to hold them off."

The players looked at Armin, then nodded their heads.

"Okay, let's go!" Eren said.

The game continued.

Eren ran with the ball, pushing forward with each bounce and came face to face with Eld. The man also had that faded streak of lightning across his eyes, much to Eren's anger.

He passed the ball through his legs to his left hand and dashed forward. His face came up against Eld's and he sharply crossed over the ball to his right hand, bent low, and attempted to run past Eld.

It was a splendid move, but, it was unfortunate that Eld was his opponent.

The man sharply turned around, at an incredible pace, and literally grabbed the ball out of Eren hand. He did a crossover and ran in the opposite direction towards the basket.

*Tap*

A soft touch on the ball, made Armin and Eld cross gazes, with Eld's eyes open in surprise.

Thank you, Eren!

While the ball didn't quite enter his grasp, it still lost contact with Eld's hand... All according to plan. Eld felt a breeze pass him, and Jean's hand scooped the ball before it could hit the ground, running past Eld with a speed that rivalled Finn's.

Running towards the net, Gunther came up in his path. With incredible speed, they matched each other. Jean performed a series of crossovers, spun around while crossing the ball between his legs, faking to move left, only for him to use his right hand to bring back the ball and pass it back to his left from behind.

Gunther followed him, each movement against Jean's, and the two kept going. It was madness to the trainees and coaches on the bench. Even Erwin and Levi became tense at the play that happened before their very eyes.

Like bolts of lightning, they pushed against each other, speed matching that of Finn's, who had an expressionless gaze on his face, though his intentions were quite obvious as his hand visibly shook. It almost looked like he was annoyed, very much so.