Chapter 30 : Shifting Tides

34: 38, with the trainees in the lead.

"Here!" Armin passed the ball to Eren. He ran forward with Eld following him closely, catching up to him with incredible speed. Eren stopped, jumped backward, and shot the ball cleanly into the basket.

34: 40.

"So he does know how to make a shot. I thought dunking was the only thing in his head." Levi remarked dryly.

"So it would appear, but you know it's not one of his strong points," Erwin replied, amused at Levi's comment.

"Doesn't matter. The least he can do is learn to shoot two-pointers in a match. Dunking is just for show, it doesn't necessarily mean you're a good player." Levi leaned his back on his seat and shut his eyes.

"Inasmuch as I agree, it's still part of everything we try to portray. Dunking is an act that speaks volumes in basketball. It is the most visible and exciting aspect of the game, as well as the face of it too. Having someone who does it consecutively and in different styles creates a bright image of the team. It appeals to the crowd, gathers their support, and encourages the player to perform more dunks which would mean better gameplay. Well, those are my observations."

Levi opened his right eye and looked at Erwin who was seated beside him, before shutting them again.

"I hate you and your logical mind. You're evil, Erwin Smith."

Erwin chuckled and gazed at the game at hand.

The score was 36: 42.

Oluo ran as he bounced the ball, spun around Reiner, jumped, and shot the ball at the net.

It won't go in. It was a desperate shot. Reiner thought. But the ball, before it could touch the rim, was grabbed by Gunther who leaped into the air. He held the ball with both hands and smashed it into the net.

"Not every shot a person takes has to go into the basket," Oluo said to Reiner as he ran past him, back to his position.

Reiner furrowed his brows, thinking about what Oluo had just told him before Eren gave him a slap on the back.

"Now's not the right time, Reiner. Think about that when you get back to the dorm, right now we need to focus. It's obvious that these guys are toying with us."

Reiner looked at Eren, astonished by his statement. "How do you figure?"

Eren gazed away from Reiner and walked to his side.

"Just watch." He said and strode away to his position.

The score, 38: 42.

Eld bounced and ran with the ball, coming to a halt at the sight of Eren with his arms spread out.

But it was a diversion.

The ball was tapped out of his hand, by no other than Armin Arlert.

Armin immediately passed the ball upwards. Bertholdt caught it on point and shot the ball smoothly into the basket.

"Way to go Armin!"

"Nice steal!!" Connie and Marco shouted from the benches, fully excited by the splendid play done by Armin.

Quicker than expected, the game continued. Farlan was currently in possession of the ball. He ran with it towards the opposite basket when Jean intercepted his path and stood before him.

He's changed. Farlan thought.

He passed the ball to his right hand from between his legs, leaning to the left, and brought the ball back to his right hand by passing it from behind.