Chapter 34 : Official Exit

As expected, after the conflict between Eren and Finn, and the beating the latter received from Mikasa, the basketball team was cut short by one member -  their ace.

It didn't help matters that both Eren and Finn were suspended from the team for three weeks, as much as Erwin was reluctant to do so. The head coach had to set an example for the remaining team members, so they not repeat the same conduct and think they could get away with it. It was all about mentality.

And needless to say, Team Trost was devasted. They had a game in less than a few days, and both their ace and potential war power were suspended for three whole weeks!

"Damn it all!" Jean exclaimed, slamming his foot into the ground.

On normal occasions, Marco would have told Jean to calm down, but even he was feeling pissed, and that was something that rarely happened.

"Of all things to do, the bastard had to go pick a fight with someone above his paygrade, and said someone with all his bravado, lost to someone on the same paygrade as he!"

"I'm not even going to protest, 'cause you're right." The dark-haired male replied, "It was already bad enough that Finn was out of it, now both he and Eren are suspended. Even if they come back, they're both injured and in little to no shape to play."

"So what's gonna happen? Is there anything we can do?" Connie asked. Seeing two of his friends giving each other the silent treatment as well as in the hospital made him greatly upset, and it made him even more downcast knowing there was little to nothing he could do about it.

"To be honest, I'm not sure. I don't think there's anything we can do."

Marco's words made the situation even more grave than it was. They all sat on the sofas in his rooms, silently contemplating the turn of events in the last three days. Something about it all seemed like a dream like it was too bad to be true.

"You know what... Mikasa's a brute alright. That chick's scary." 

They all agreed with Connie, releasing affirmative 'mmms' that came from deep within their souls. Reiner in particular hadn't said a word since he got punched by the female Ackerman. He saw his life flash before his very eyes when he got hit.

"Besides that," Jean added, "Annie is also a monster, being able to stop Mikasa the way she did. That ain't normal I tell you."

For the first time since that day, Reiner spoke up. "Just what in the world are they feeding girls these days?" 

None of them could answer his question, but before a comical answer could escape Connie's lips, their phones rang simultaneously.

Taking a quick look at his phone, Jean's brows furrowed in confusion, yet he said what they were all thinking. 

"What the hell is Finn doing?"

...

"I have caused more disappointment than I can imagine both to this team and to those around me whom I call friends. I understand that I am not exactly normal. I think I'm far from it, to be honest, and for that very reason, I am here to formally withdraw from the Trost Basketball Team. It's been fun in its way for a while now, but I am a risk to everyone around me. I assaulted a member of the team because of my problems and more often than not I have been indisciplined towards the staff as well. I don't deserve to be in this team, and I dont deserve to play basketball let alone enjoy it. Here's my jersey and everything.  I'm... I'm sorry."

To say his apology was unexpected was a massive understatement. It was downright astonishing. None of them could believe it, not Jean, not Marco, not Levi, Hanji, Erwin, Connie, Reiner, Miche, not one of them truly believed he was apologizing.