Chapter 30 -One Answer

"Bad choices almost result from making a choice out of fear."

-Jon Fitch

-

Trevor's POV

I sat next to the window of the café, basking in the warmth the sunlight provided through the glass. Alana had just went out to receive a call.

I waited for her to come back and when she sat back down, she seemed a little off. She couldn't look at me in the eye and she was unable to hide the fact that her hands were shaking underneath the table.

I held myself back and instead warmly asked, "Hey Alana? Wanna go back now?"

Alana nodded her head before quickly furrowing her brows. She replied quickly, "Oh! No...I have to go to the office for a while and see my father...Sorry, I'll be back very late tonight."

I hesitantly replied, "Sure...You want me to wait for you so we can have dinner?"

Alana shook her head and said she would be even later than that and would settle it on her own.

I went along with whatever she wanted me to go along with. I knew she was hiding something but I trusted her.

It was as if she had read my mind, before I could offer her a ride, she already was half out of the café saying that she would take a cab.

I didn't put much thought into it and just waved at her as her cab drove off.

After finishing my coffee, I went back home to get some rest.

-

Alana's POV

Why would father want to see me...

He won't try anything right...

As I saw the office come into view, I felt as if my stomach would churn enough acid to burn me whole. I felt it deep into my bones that something would go wrong today.

I walked into my father's office, mustering courage to just walk towards his office without making a beeline out of the building.

My father had eyes everywhere and I just found out today. There's no way I can try anything.

How stupid can I get...

I took a deep breath as I held on to the door knob before knocking and entering.

My father was looking out of the window and he turned to face me with a sneer.

"My dear daughter Alana. It's been quite some time don't you think? How should I put this? Romantic getaways wasn't part of the plan now eh?"

All I could do was look down at my shoes and wish that the earth would swallow me whole right now.

"I...Dad...I can explain..."

Before I could finish my sentence, my father picked up a golf club from his golf set beside his office table and walked right towards me.

His menacing look and the thunderous footsteps he made as his shoes came into contact with the floor made my heart pound against my ribs so hard that I thought my rib bones had all cracked.

Before I got brace myself, my father swung the gold club right at my right collar bone which sent me crashing backwards to hit a vase that happened to be behind.

I heard a crack at my collarbone but the pain I felt was more prominent from the ceramic shards that were sunk right into my back.

My father did not even care, his eyes were now emotionless.