Chapter 38 -Proud

"Don't wait until you reach your goal to be proud of yourself. Be proud of each step you take toward reaching that goal."

-Unknown

-

Alana's POV

"Hello...I'm Alana..." I timidly greeted Nora, the therapist that Trevor invited over.

Trevor had came over to the couch I was seated on and he sat beside me, taking my hand in his and giving it a firm and assuring squeeze.

I calmed down by the slightest bit. I was still pretty anxious about how all these would go...

Nora took a seat opposite of me and she had the warmest gaze in her eyes and it gave a vibe that made me feel very welcomed.

"So Alana this is our first meeting. I wouldn't want to go all deep into anything today. How about we get to know each other first?" Nora initiated.

I nodded my head and waited for her to get her notepad and pen ready before she spoke.

"Okay so how about tell me more about yourself. Your favourite colour and animal?" Nora questioned.

Hmm seems okay...I can answer this.

"Oh well my favourite colour is pink and I really like hamsters." I cheerily answered, feeling happy that I could talk about the things I loved.

"Hamsters? That's interesting...why would you say so?" Nora curiously raised.

"Hamsters are creatures that were domesticated slightly later than all the pets we have now like dogs. Some of them require us to go through the entire taming process where they nip and bite when they're scared. They take time to open up and when they do, they are most outgoing animals ever." I happily droned on but stopped myself before she thinks I'm insane.

Nora laughed and she replied, "Well I see, that's true enough. Have you owned hamsters before?"

I nodded my head and continued, "Yep! After much pleading my mother let me adopt one from the rescue..."

My mother...

I stopped myself there because I really despised bringing her up. It just brought back flashbacks from my entire life after she died in that fire.

"Oh that's lovely dear! Could you tell me more about your mother?" Nora just to direct the conversation in that direction and I really wasn't having it.

I knew she probably knows what went down, I mean the fire made headlines for a week straight, covering everything from the house to the funeral of my mother.

"I...don't..." I stumbled over my words, trying not to seem impolite and cold by rejecting to answer her question.

Trevor pat my hand and gave it a reassuring squeeze, knowing that bringing her up was really difficult for me.

"That's okay dear. If you don't mind...can you tell me about your family? The family you always wanted."

I probably had some wistful look in my eyes like all those sentimental actors in movies as I spoke, "Well...my mother would send me to school in the morning and pick me up after in the afternoon. Then we would play together in the garden and have a nap in before getting ready for dinner. Then as dinner is ready, my father would walk in through the door and give me the biggest bear hug. After that three of us would eat dinner and talk about our days."

Without myself even knowing, I was tearing up and tears were trickling down my face.

Trevor took and looked at Nora who was giving me a warm smile. It was a smile that told me I was doing well. It wasn't a look of pity or a look that screamed "wow you aren't normal".