Chapter 44 -Court

"The ball is in your court."

-The Universe

-

Alana's POV

I was seated in court.

I was ready for the hearing today to stand witness for the horrendous things that my father had done to me.

I wanted him to pay.

According to Trevor, the verdict will be announced today since it's the third and the last trial where I was required to provide a statement for the prosecution.

I low-key was getting cold feet and wanted to run away right there and then as I saw the judges entering. However, Trevor was right next to me, holding my hand safely in his.

"Rise" and everyone in court got up and sat back down after the judges took their seats.

Currently apart from Trevor and I, all the people that came to watch the trial were Trevor's family and reporters.

The main judge signalled for the court hearing to start and the prosecution got up and was ready to start alliterating his charges on my father.

Domestic abuse along with coercion.

Never in my life would I have imagined myself stepping into territory like this. Domestic abuse still sounded foreign. Very deep down inside of me, I still believed that my father was good but I brushed that thought away.

I looked down at my lap the whole time as I felt my father's glare on me.

It was about time that I was summoned to the stand.

I walked past the little gate and sat at the designated seat for me which was right in the middle of the courtroom.

"Victim. Please swear by the oath in front of you."

I held up the piece of laminated paper and started to read out what was written.

"I promise to tell the whole truth...Charged with perjury..."

After what seemed like years, I finished reading that oath which gave me more conviction.

I only have the truth to tell.

I ignored my father's burning gaze and maintained eye contact with the prosecutor that was coming up to me to question me.

"Miss Rivers, what type of life did you live under Mr Rivers?"

I answered, "He would abuse me ever since my mother died and he hasn't stopped until now. It has been more than ten years already."

"How has that affected you?"

"I was unable to have any friends because he would chase them all away. He would also ground me at home by locking me in the basement. I had to do everything he asked which led me to sabotage Knight Enterprises. I didn't wan to die...I had no freedom with him as my father," I stated, trying not to let any emotions wash over me.

"Your Honour, I am done with my questioning," the prosecutor announced,

"Defendant, please start questioning," the judge ordered.

I saw my father's lawyer walk up to me with a sneer, thinking he would be able to turn the tables.

"Miss Rivers, abused may be too harsh. Don't you think you father was just disciplining you? I think there may be some overreaction on your part as well as you said yes to your father to get those documents."

I looked at him with shock and horror.

Even though I knew it was his job to win this case which includes defending my father, but there was really no ounce of humanity in this guy.