Chapter 5 -The Encounter

When it's time for souls to meet, there's nothing on earth that can prevent them from meeting, no matter where each may be located."

-Jaime Lichauco

-

Alana's POV

I ran and ran towards the only place I know will keep me safe without me having to worry at all.

As I got closer to the place where I loved to go during a jog around midnight to 3am, I felt healed by the entire scenery. When I crossed the bridge towards the waterfall at the end, I was very comforted by its presence. The sound of the water crashing down into the lake down below was just beautiful and always made me stop worrying about a thing in the world.

This waterfall was a place where only my mother and I knew of. We named it "Secret Falls" only because it was our secret. We would come here late at night without my father to just talk or have an adventure. This place was filled of my memories with my mother and I that I could feel her presence right here and right now.

I looked towards the top of the waterfall and thought this would be a great place for me to go meet you up there right mum? I should go today shouldn't I? I caused dad so much suffering and everything turned out this way because of me...Forgive me mum, I'll make it up to you soon when I see you up there. I'm coming...

I took off my running shoes that were quite worn out thanks to me running to here quite often to clear my mind and placed them nicely at the end of the bridge. At least dying here will allow me to have the peace that I always wanted which was to break that darned circuit I was stuck in...
Goodbye to this living hell...

I was just about to climb the railing when suddenly a voice shouted, "Hey you! What are you trying to do? Stop!"

Upon hearing that, I immediately stopped and looked in the direction of the voice that called out to me.

There was a slight fog so I was unable to see the person's face clearly but as the person came closer, I realised that it...it...was Trevor Knight!

What is he doing here? I thought I only know of this place...How...how does he know this place exists?

I looked at him straight in the eye and straight up questioned him, "What are you doing here then?" He seemed to be quite bewildered and he spluttered out, "It...It should be me asking that right?" I knew he was right but I refused to back down and said, "Only my mother and I know of this place. How do you...?"

Trevor decided to temporarily ignore my suicide attempt situation and replied, "I live around here too you know. I mean can't be just you and your mother knowing of this place. It's just not many come at this time."

After hearing him out, I realised he made a lot of sense. However, my heart still sank because this place wasn't exactly a secret anymore. I just placed my hands on the railings of the bridge and looked out into the horizon and slowly watched the water flowing down from the waterfall into the lake below us.

Silence filled the air but it was the most comforting moment I've ever had in my life yet.

-

Trevor's POV

She tried to commit suicide? If I didn't stop her...Why would she though? Something must be bothering her since the ran out of the ballroom like that...

My thoughts were just getting noisier and noisier and I realised I was probably thinking too much right now, I should try and talk to her instead.

When I looked towards my left, I saw her eyes closed and just taking in the atmosphere. The silence of the whole place with just the sound of water crashing down and with the occasional sounds of crickets in the night. I was just awestruck. This moment truly was beautiful. It was something that money could never buy.

Keeping her eyes closed, she opened her mouth, wanting to say something but immediately closed it shut again. I decided I should break the ice for her to start talking and so I randomly asked, "If you had three wishes, what would you ask for?"

I realised how dumb that question was only after it came out of my mouth but instead of looking at me and thinking I am so weird person. With her eyes closed, she laughed. Just a little chuckle. She seemed to be deep in thought before saying, "Well, I would wish for my mother to be alive. That's the only wish that I hope comes true."

I immediately felt bad for asking that because everyone knew the fire that severely injured the two Rivers in which where Helena Rivers died. She slowly opened her eyes and I noticed a slight sheen of tears forming in her eyes. However, she did not look at me.

I decided to answer my own question and lift the mood, "Well I would love to be ordinary. Not a billionaire CEO. Just a normal person with a desk job from 9 to 5 ya know?"

Her smile became bigger and she turned to me and seemed to stare straight into my soul. Then her question took my aback, "Why? You have everything that others want and what you have is literally enough to last you probably a lifetime."

Then I softly said, "Well it's not what I want..."

She seemed to get what I mean and a flash of worry and guilt flashed through her eyes but I assured her its fine.

We engaged in a small talk just asking each other what our favourite colours and food are. The normal cliché conversations that literally probably everyone will have or has had in their lives. As I got to know her more, the more I was interested in knowing her as a person. She seemed really reserved and calculated everything she said.

She was definitely hiding the real her which made me want to find out all about her.

Oh Alana, what spell are you putting me under?

-

Chapter 5 done! I feel really proud of this chapter as I felt it was quite magical especially for Alana and Trevor. It was really mystical and of course it was the start of something.