Chapter 1 -A New Experience

"You don't need to see the sunset to feel the warmth of its colours."
-Atticus

-

Alana's POV

"Hurry up bitch, we're already late!" He bellowed from down the hall.

We were going to GoodKnight Gala which is organised by Knight Enterprises annually. The company was recently passed down to Trevor Knight by his father, Maxwell Knight. They basically own the whole country with the company they started up. They are literally the number one bank that everyone entrusts their money too. I guess probably even my father.

The Knight family and ours live in the town, Orchard Village, where all the rich live. However, I rarely go out, so I haven't met the Knights yet. Sometimes, I would go out for a jog around midnight when my father is sleeping but haven't got the chance yet as my body was just not in the condition to.

My father is the CEO of RiverFord. He owns majority of the food chains in Averna. I overheard my father's video conference that Knight Enterprises were interested in investing in our food chains which is why we were invited to attend their gala tonight.

"Do I have to personally drag you out to the car?" My father hollered impatiently.

I quickly ran down the stairs, not wanting to get punished today. He gave me a terrible beating yesterday which took years to cover up with makeup.

"Get in the car!" My father said. I jumped in and hoped that this day would end somewhat well.

I was wearing a pure white sweetheart dress that belonged to my mother. It had a lot of glittery gems on it which let the dress have a nice natural shimmer. The dress flowed down to my ankles and I must say I felt pretty. It has been so long since I felt like that and I truly hope that I will not screw anything up tonight.

-

When we reached the hotel that the Knight's owned, I looked out of the car window to see the hotel. To say I was shocked was an understatement.

The hotel was rooted there in all its glory. It was very tall and extravagant. All other hotels I have ever known in my life looked nothing compared to this. I never knew that such a building existed. Right in the middle of the lobby was a chandelier that was intricately designed to fit the theme of this hotel. Luxurious.

My father stepped out of the car with me silently following behind him. He whispered in my ear, tugging me close to him,"Listen girl, we have to act like family. I expect you to be on your best behaviour if not you know what's coming your way. Don't. Screw. Up."

Upon hearing what he said, I whimpered and nodded my head. I was already nervous about screwing up and now the fear just increased. I couldn't fathom the consequences...

-

When we entered the ballroom, to say I was amazed was an understatement. This place looked like it was fit for royalty and not for people like me. The ballroom looked as big as the ones that they showed in the castle documentary I saw my father watching.

My father bent down and whispered in my ear threateningly, "Avoid small talks, I will do all the talking. Don't attract attention from others if not you know what I will do."

I nodded my head and continued to walk beside him as he walked to different tables to socialise with other people. I plastered a polite smile on my face as he went around greeting people that he knew and aquatinting himself with others. I introduced myself briefly and let my father do all the talking. Quite a number of people tried to make small talk with me because they knew my mother or knew me when I was younger but all I did was give short answers.

A lady that I roughly remember as my mother's best friend that I haven't seen in years came up to me and said. "Oh you grew up to look just like Helena!" I recalled my mother's face; diamond face shape with green eyes just like mine. A nice thin body and had a million dollar smile. The lady continued to talk on while my mind was just clouded with the memories of my mother before she passed on.

Just then, my father came up to us and said to the lady, "Hey Janet, long time no see. I miss Helena too you know. Our daughter grew up so well, I am so proud of her." My father pat my back and gave me a "loving" smile. For a moment, I thought he was acting so gentle and kind with me tonight and I felt secretly happy.

I continue to stare at him while he and Janet talks. I looked at him with a longing in my heart. Dad, how I wish you were the same dad I knew before mum died. I'm sorry...

-

"Hello everyone. I am Trevor Knight. Thank you for coming to the Knight Gala today. It is my 3rd year hosting this event and I am proud to say that this year we went all in to provide the best night for everyone here. Enjoy your night!" Trevor Knight announced.

Although he was standing at level 2, his facial features could still be seen. He had sea blue eyes, high cheekbones and a chiseled jaw. He was the definition of handsome. He stood to about 6 foot and I was only at 5'4. I was definitely awestruck.

My father seemed to see me staring and he whispered, "Stop staring at him, you're too ugly to be even noticed from down here" After saying that, he laughed and shook his head.

After hearing his words, I instantly went cold. I realised the kind and caring fatherly image that he had today was just an act that would be over in a few hours.

-

After a while, it was time for dinner to be served. I was sitting at a table with my father and a few acquaintances that he knew. Each and everyone boasted about how their businesses were flourishing and how happy their families were. I don't know if what all they said were true or if it was just a façade but how I wish I had a happy family to brag about.

Soon. the appetisers came and I politely dug in, only giving short answers to the questions that were asked. Everyone knew that Helena Rivers passed and thankfully did not pry. They seemed to only ask about what job I was going to get after graduating in June this year.

The main course was served. Wagyu steak with truffle cream sauce with a small potato salad on the side. I had never ate something like this before since I was 14. The taste of leftovers were what I was used to for 10 years now. I quickly devoured the food, not thinking too much about eating slowly like all the other women at the table who were just slowly and elegantly eating their food.

My father then whispered in my ear, "What did I say about manners?" I quickly straightened my back and cut the steak into small bite-size pieces and ate like how the other women were. I will not screw up tonight. Who knows? My father may finally be satisfied with me.

-

1st chapter done and dusted. What do y'all think?
Feedback is welcomed!

The picture up there shows the dress that Alana is wearing.

I will also be writing in Trevor's perspective to cover more information so that this book doesn't feel so one sided.

I promise the chapters will be longer :D