Chapter 3 -A dance

"They were utterly intoxicated by each other"

-Unknown

-

Alana's POV

As I held on to this unknown's person hand, I felt very warm inside. Even though I could not see his face, just holding his hand made my fear of the dark disappear. I was really glad to have found someone because the dark just doesn't make me feel safe. I tried to catch a glimpse of the person whom I was holding hands with but to no avail. It could only see a faint outline of his face.

I really wonder who is he...

-

Just before I was about to die of curiosity, the lights came back on. I slowly looked up towards my right and saw Trevor Knight. Him? What? How...

I was quite shocked as I did not expect to be dancing with him tonight and he seemed to be feeling the same way too. He seemed deep in thought although he was staring right into my eyes. I just stared back into his captivating sea blue eyes where I knew literally anyone could just drown in them.

"Get into your positions everyone! Music will be played in 3! 2! 1!" The host excitedly exclaimed.

Suddenly, Trevor Knight grabbed my waist and pulled me in. He raised our clasped hands and took my other hand and placed it on his shoulder. I was very surprised to say the least. A man like him would want to dance with me? I expected him to just walk away and find a better woman. I am sure he has a woman by his side right?...

-

The music started and Trevor led me across the ballroom. Many other couples were dancing while acquainting themselves with one another. However, it was eerily quiet between Trevor and I. It was really awkward and I did not really know how to start a conversation in a situation like this. This close proximity was actually affecting me. The whole situation was really surreal.

I felt just like a princess. The dress flowed nicely with the dance, making me feel like Belle from Beauty and The Beast, dancing across a large ballroom where it felt like it was only the two of us. However, Trevor's eyes held professionalism like he was just dancing with me for the sake of dancing because it was his own event. Disappointment filled me before I realised that a woman like me with him will definitely not happen.

He seemed to sense my disappointment and a curious look flashed in his eyes but I just looked away trying to match his dance steps. I never really had the chance to dance before so all I did was just follow where he was going and what he was doing. I was impressed by myself in all honesty because I could be very well stepping on his feet with my heels right now.

Amidst my thoughts, I was so distracted that I accidentally stepped on his foot.

Without a thought, I immediately apologised profusely because whenever I caused an accident at home, it triggers a beating. Right now, I don't want the Averna's richest man to be angry with me.

He accepted my apology coolly with just a simple "It's okay" and we continued to dance all the way until the music stopped.

Those five minutes of my life was the most heart-stopping time I've ever lived through.

-

After taking a curtsy, I walked back to my table to find my father. Before I could sit down, he threateningly whispered in my ear, "Follow me right now."

I went stiff immediately but decided to quickly follow after my father who seemed to be fuming mad. He was clearly stomping and breathing really deeply. I could sense the amount of rage radiating through him and it was terrifying.

He led me into a corner near the bathrooms and he was seething as he said, "Didn't I say to not attract attention? What did you just do? DANCE WITH THE MOST WELL KNOWN BUSINESSMAN IN THE COUNTRY? What a joke! Get ready right now! We are going home!"

My father turned and walked towards the exit and I saw our driver waiting for us there already. I regained my composure and quickly ran after my father who just got into the car. I really could not risk getting him more worked up anymore.

As I got into the car and it started to drive off, I started thinking about where things started to go wrong without looking towards my right, where my father sat.

I knew I would screw up...

Why did I not just walk away...

Did I really have to dance?

-

Trevor's POV

Well that dance was really something. Dancing with Alana made me feel very content. I was very glad that she and I had the chance to dance together. Although it was really very awkward for the both of us. I just kept on a straight face but inside I was dying to talk to her but I didn't really know how.

Before I could try to start anything, the music ended and after taking a bow, she went off in the direction of her table. I just walked back to mine and casually engaged in a conversation with my family about the farewell segment that were to come after this dance segment.

During the family discussion, I was thinking back to the dance just about 10 minutes ago. I visibly saw that she was trying to keep up with me. I tried to dance a little slower for her to only step on my foot. She seemed a little distracted like something was weighing her down, I wanted to ask but I bit my tongue down.

My foot did not hurt that much so I did not really mind but, she was apologising nonstop which I thought was weird. She seemed really scared about causing a small accident. After all, quite a number of people are fearful of me so I guess that was a normal reaction given the situation...I am not too sure.

I looked around, getting bored of the conversation that my family was having. I looked towards the large door which was the entrance and the exit as well only for me to only see her rushing out with her face looking really pale along with sensing her feel frantic? What would make her feel that way?

From the my table, I saw her car drive away and I felt the need to see her one more time. I don't think I like her or anything, I just want to feel that unfamiliar warmth I felt with her when she first touched me and find out what it is.

Until we meet again, Alana...

-

3rd chapter done and dusted! What do y'all think? Personally this was quite good for me HEHE.

Feedback, new story ideas are welcomed <3