Chapter 37 -Start

"No matter how hard the past is, you can always begin again."

-Buddha

-

Alana's POV

Flashback

"Alana! Come on!" my mother screeched.

She carried me up and hoisted me out of the window from the basement. I looked back and stretched my hand out to get her but it was too late. The whole house that was burning in flames crashed down on her and the sight of my mother's unrested eyes haunted me.

I screamed my lungs out and woke up but I realised I could not feel a single inch of my body.

I was locked in my own body.

Then terrible flashbacks started to come in waves.

"Alana! COME HERE YOU BITCH!" my father bellowed.

I was running far away from him and then I was pulled into another flashback where he was whipping me with his belt after coming back from work.

Then he was drinking alcohol and smashing the bottles at me.

I was pulled from a flashback to another and all I could do was scream.

I couldn't escape myself.

Then my knight in shining armour came.

Trevor grabbed me by the shoulders and pulled me up and embraced me. I was then pulled out of my trance and started to sob uncontrollably.

I didn't utter a single word to him. He knows. He just does.

The comfort I felt from him was incomparable to anything on this earth.

It was what I needed.

"Alana you can't go on like this...sleep in my room with me?" Trevor pleaded after many nights of me insisting I can handle it.

The truth is I couldn't. I tried but I've failed.

I nodded my head and buried myself deeper into his embrace, still reeling from the night terror.

-

I opened my eyes and for the first time in a long while the space beside me was empty, making me feel a little chilly.

Where was Trevor?

I've been sleeping in his room for about a week or so now and today was finally the day that we would be seeing the therapist together.

I'm...prepared?

I couldn't back up now after all the determination I had boiling inside of me just because of fear.

I got up from the bed and went downstairs, hoping to find Trevor.

Last night or probably really early in the morning, I had another night terror which lasted slightly longer than normal. I've been keeping Trevor awake and anxious all through several nights and guilty was just an understatement of the century.

I hope this therapist can make things better...I don't want to be a burden...

I came down the stairs and took in the lingering smell of pancakes and butter wafting through the air.

I smiled to myself and walked towards the kitchen where I was Trevor in an apron and he was flipping pancakes with one hand.

What a fine man...