S4 Ch.2 Divided We Stand

We open to a beautiful sunny day at the beach. Max is sitting in a beach chair tinkering with some sort of machine, next to him Hope is relaxing while reading her spellbook. Nearby, Ben is buried up to his neck in sand.

Ben: "I am the sand guardian. Guardian of the sand."

Gwen then plops down onto the sand pile Ben is buried in.

Gwen: "Poseidon quivers before him!"

As some ocean water washes up the beach, Ben shouts at it.

Ben: "Frick off!"

Ben and Gwen smile at each other before breaking down into fits of laughter. Quickly recovering, Gwen looks around and sees Y/n sitting at the edge of the water. She quickly adopts a look of sadness as Ben pulls himself out of the sand, also looking in Y/n's direction.

Ben: "Was kinda hoping that would at least get his attention."

Gwen: "I'm really starting to worry about him."

Ben: "Me, too. Last night he woke up screaming."

Gwen: "Again?"

Ben: "Yeah, I dont think he's gotten any sleep since that run in with Enoch."

Hope then walks up.

Hope: "I take it the same joke didnt do anything?"

Gwen: "Didnt even move his head. Any luck finding a spell to help him sleep?"

Hope: "None yet, but I'll find something. At least, I hope I will."

The kids walk up to Y/n and sit next to him. Y/n didnt even react to their presence, he just stared ahead out towards the ocean. He had dark bags under his eyes, reminiscent of lack of sleep. Bryce was perched on his shoulder cuddling into his neck and cheek, trying to get any sort of reaction out him. When Ben and the girls sat down, she gave them a safe squeak.

Gwen: "Y/n, babe, are you okay? Do you want me to get you anything?"

Y/n was silent. The kids sat there at the water's edge for about ten minutes before Y/n spoke for the first all day.

Y/n: "I keep seeing it... the tree... the bodies. I know it wasn't real.... but I cant get it out of my head. Every time I close my eyes, I see it. All of you and mom, hanging from the tree. She was even looked like how she did before summer started. Blue jeans, her black high heels, her favorite black blouse... her hair was even the same, bright red with it cut short, barley coming down to her neck. She even had that pendant of an eagle she wears..."

Y/n was doing his best to hold back his tears, but he failed at the end. Ben and the girls brought him into a group hug.

Hope: "Its okay, Y/n. I'll find a spell to get what you saw out of your head, i promise. And itll just what it is, a bad dream."

Y/n gave Hope a small smile, the first he's had in days.

Ben: "Come on pal, how about we have some fun. Get your head clear, and forget about all that for a while. How's that sound?"

Y/n: "That's sound pretty good. What did you have in mind?"

Ben: "How about we go Ripjaws and go diving? Enjoy some of the underwater world."

Y/n: "Sure, that's sounds fun."

The kids raise to their feet, and Ben and Y/n transform. But they dont turn into Ripjaws, they turn into new aliens.

Ben's new from:

Y/n's new form:

Y/n's new form:

Ditto: "What the? New aliens? Cool!"

Y/n: "What the? What does this guy do?"

Ditto: "You kinda look like a giant crab."

Gwen: "How do we figure out what these guys do?"

Y/n: "Simple, we experiment. Hmm, I have holes in the palms of my hands. Let's see what happens."

Y/n raises his hand out towards the ocean and jet of water sprouts from the hole in his hand.

Hope: "How'd you figure that out?"

Y/n: "I did the same thing I do when I'm Swampfire. Looks like it worked, now what to call this alien?.... How about Triton?"

Ditto: "Triton, I like it."

Triton: "Then its settled. Now, how do we figure out what you do, Ben?"

Ditto: "Blast me!"

Triton: "Do-what-now?"

Ditto: "Blast me with water! Let's see what happens."

Y/n and girls look at each other. Y/n shrugs and blasts Ben with water, and holds it for a few seconds. After he stops, him and the girls see not one, but two Ben's now.

Ditto 1: "Whoah, I can duplicate! That's awesome! I'll call this guy..."

Both Ben's then throw there arms around each other's shoulders.

Ditto 1&2: "Ditto!"

Triton: "That's seems appropriate. What now?"

Ben then splits off two more of himself.

Ditto 3: "Let's play water tag!"

Gwen: "That's a great idea. What do you say, Y/n?"

Triton: "Sure, why not."

For the rest of the afternoon, the kids played water tag with Ben and Y/n's new forms. After timing out, it was time to head had to the Rustbucket and clean up.

After getting washed up and changed into their pajamas, everyone was heading to bed. Well, almost everyone. Y/n was staring at his bed in worry. And unfortunately, Hope wasn't able to find a spell to help him, but Max had an idea.

Max layed down a number of blankets and pillows on the floor of the Rustbucket. They were all going to have a sleep pile, with Y/n in the center, surrounded by the ones he loved. But first, Max made a call.

Max: "Hey, Y/n. Someone wants to talk to you."

Max handed Y/n the phone, and on the other side was his mom.

M/n: "Hi sweety."

Y/n: *sniff* "Hi, mom."

M/n: "Max told me you've been having a pretty bad nightmare recently. Do you want to talk about it?"

Y/n: *sob* "O-okay."

Over the next hour, Y/n talked on the phone with him mother. She couldnt do very much to comfort her son over the phone, but what comfort she could give him seemed to have worked. Later that night, with everyone in the sleep pile, Y/n slept through the night. Dreaming of all the happy memories he has, and the memories he hopes to make in the future.