part two, chapter five

Marissa's POV

After my messages with Olivia, I was so close to screaming and crying at first but I heard a pebble hit my window, I know who it was right away.

Riley Adams. A smile automatically appeared across my face, I was so happy to have my best friend back. I peered out of the window,

" You could have just came to my door." I said to him,

" Yeah but this is our thing." He said with a smile.

" What's up, Riley?"

" Miles is having a party, and we are totally going. Like 100%, so come on."

" I don't know, Rile-"

" 5 minutes!" He yelled as he got back into his truck.

I sighed and got up from my bed and put my clothes on, I didn't expect to be there long anyways. I walked down stairs and exchanged goodbyes with my dad, telling him I'd be home before curfew.

When I got into Riley's car he was smiling down at his phone,

" whose texts have you smiling like that?" I said as I buckled up.

" Oh uh- do you remember Corey Young?" He asked me, putting his car into drive and taking off.

" Yeah, I thought he moved to Colorado? Why?"

" I thought so too. But I swear I saw him at school today with Olivia, and he texted me."

We pulled into the party and it was already packed, I felt a pit form in my stomach. I've never been a people person. Teenagers drinking and people making out and a thick air filled with smoke? Who could ask for anything better? I thought to myself as we walked in. From the jump people were high-fiving Riley, it's like in the past couple months he somehow sky rocketed with popularity. And it was weird but whatever. I got on my phone to try and pass time, and I saw that Emma had texted me.

Emma 🪴
Hey, I'm gonna go to bed early tonight, okay?

Marissa 💖
Of course, talk tomorrow?
Read at 10:34pm

I put my phone down trying to enjoy the moment, it was the first party I'd been too in months. I looked around to find someone I knew and that's when I spotted Olivia arguing with Mallory, I tried to get closer to them to listen in but it was too loud over the music. I stopped in my tracks when I saw Mallory walking towards me.

" and you fucking stay away from her, Olivia!" She screamed back at her girlfriend. I paused and looked at Olivia who had already disappeared into the crowd. Mallory looked my way and I saw her hand come up from under her, knocking my drink onto my shirt. Everyone was staring at me. I ran into the crowd.

" Olivia! Olivia!" I started to yell, until I reached the backyard where I finally saw her sitting by the pool, crying.

" Olivia-"

" What do you want, Marissa?" She sighed as she wiped her tears.

" I just wanted to talk to you.."

" about what?"

" I saw what happened back there."

" it was just an argument, nothing serious."

" I'm sorry.. listen let's get out of here."

" ... okay." She said standing up with me.

I had Riley's truck keys and it's not like he would have noticed if I took it. We got into the car and I started driving until we got to some lake in the middle of nowhere.

" why here?" She asked as we got out of the truck

" So, we can swim." I said grabbing her hand.

" I don't have a bathing suit.." she said trying to back out if it.

" that's why we're just gonna go in our clothes? Stop being scared." I grabbed her hand and she laughed as we ran to the bottom of the dock and jumped in. We spent the next 45 minutes swimming and talking. I felt alive, finally. It's like I forgot who she was for a moment and I liked that.
We got out and sat in the back of his truck.

" thank you." She said to me quietly.

" For what?"

" For coming to see if I was okay.." she said. I get her arm go around me and her head rest on my shoulder. I looked at her, and we kissed. Both of us kissed each other. For more than just a minute, it felt like an eternity. I felt my phone buzzing. It was Emma.

Fuck.